Phil Jagielka withdraws from England squad but Gareth Southgate is unlikely to call up replacement for injured star
Phil Jagielka has pulled out of the England squad to face Malta and Slovenia with a thigh strain.
The Football Association announced the Everton defender has returned to his club for treatment but is expected to be fit for the Toffees' Premier League trip to Manchester City next Saturday.
Interim boss Gareth Southgate has no immediate plans to call up a replacement ahead of Saturday's World Cup qualifier with Malta at Wembley.
Jagielka did not take part in the full England training session on Tuesday following Everton's 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace on Friday but his absence was planned.
He... read more
- 06:28 What the inside of Virgin Voyages’ first cruise ship looks like
- 06:28 Woman gets stuck behind 94 tractors while going into labour
- 06:28 Baby has rare condition which gives her hair like Albert Einstein
- 06:27 Hartlepool MP to act on Jehovah’s Witness concerns from former...
- 06:27 Troubled primary school facing financial problems which could lead...
- 06:27 Work programme helps fill roles at new Subway set to open in summer
- 06:27 Call for tougher sentences for weapons offences as fraction get...
- 06:27 Work well underway on new Lidl store set to open in Hartlepool
- 06:27 Knitters urged to make new outfits for Bradley Lowery Foundation...
- 06:25 Having more sex might improve your memory
- 06:25 Over a quarter of UK millennials are up for dating someone much older
- 06:23 The friend effect: why the secret of health and happiness is...
- 06:22 No food, no water: African migrants recount terrifying Atlantic...
- 06:20 Authors of “Fit at Mid-Life” book urge others to try fit at 50...
- 06:20 Public urged to share their NHS stories for 70th anniversary
- 06:20 Cristiano Ronaldo wishes he was facing Man Utd not Liverpool in...
- 06:18 Chris Marshall: Reaction to special constable in a hijab says a lot
- 06:18 Leader comment: Kirk should sound trumpet over sexism
- 06:18 Leader comment: A dated approach to history
- 06:18 Scots medicial chiefs warn NHS ‘stretched to the limit’ by Brexit
- 06:18 Scots civic leaders launch declaration to prevent Brexit
- 06:18 Edinburgh schools review decision postponed
- 06:14 Government was too slow to spot Carillion's trouble brewing – MPs
- 06:13 Double standards
- 06:13 The vulnerable need more protection
- 06:10 Man Utd star Juan Mata has classy message for Chelsea and fans...
- 06:09 Jack Catterall to cheer on Terry Flanagan ahead of potential world...
- 06:09 Preston boxer Amalie goes for European glory in Bulgaria
- 06:09 Three-year deal is Darnell Fisher’s reward for strong first season...
- 06:08 Study suggests Grammar school students unlikely to do better than...