Persian shallot 'could help fight TB antibiotic resistance'
A type of onion could help the fight against antibiotic resistance in cases of tuberculosis, a study has suggested.
Researchers believe the antibacterial properties extracted from the Persian shallot could increase the effects of existing antibiotic treatment.
They said this could help "reverse the tide" of drug-resistant TB, which infected 490,000 people in 2016.
But they said the research was still in its early stages and clinical trials would need to follow.
Why is it so difficult to discover new antibiotics? Patients 'need rest, not antibiotics' In the ongoing study, led by... read more
- 16:12 KFC in Burton closes after running out of CHICKEN
- 16:12 Meet the superfit mum proving anything is possible as she goes for...
- 16:12 Ex-Gladiator star and Archbishop of York among guest speakers at...
- 16:12 Phoenix Youth Project youngsters awarded
- 16:11 Diesel does nicely on used car scene
- 16:11 Members only: Greek ‘penis festival’ sees people kissing giant...
- 16:10 Village pub owner wins national pub personality of the year award
- 16:10 This is the million-mile impact of the Midlands' axed bus routes
- 16:10 Motorist slams "ridiculous" SEVEN-MILE diversion during A46 closure
- 16:10 Rare piece of Concorde jet to go on sale near Buckingham
- 16:09 Major rescue after skier falls 200m in Nevis range
- 16:07 Man arrested after attack victim found with suspected stab wounds
- 16:07 Hailee Steinfeld and Niall Horan spark further dating rumours at...
- 16:06 Damian Green dismisses Brexit 'conspiracy theories'
- 16:06 Brave policeman’s bodycam captures moment he saved drowning man
- 16:06 Northumbria Police officer to stand trial accused of assaulting man...
- 16:06 Dangerous building about to collapse shuts Wigan road
- 16:06 YEP Says: Leeds United’s welcome move on tickets
- 16:05 Roomiest 500 raises the bar again
- 16:05 Peston On Sunday investigated by Ofcom over foul-mouthed rant live...
- 16:05 Teenager loses both legs after being struck down with life...
- 16:04 Will it be a Friday fiesta or a Friday fright night for Dundee...
- 16:04 Dragons' Den viewers are stunned after the creators of an app that...
- 16:04 Meat supplier to Jamie's and Wetherspoons goes bust: 300 jobs lost...
- 16:03 Police officer set for trial over alleged assault on suspect
- 16:03 All trams on Bury line suspended due to damage to overhead lines
- 16:02 London Fashion Week 2018: How to watch Burberry LFW catwalk live...
- 16:02 New Renault Zoe 2018 - Faster and more powerful electric car REVEALED
- 16:02 Universities warn government not to cut their funding as Theresa...
- 16:01 Google Maps: Young woman caught in VERY embarrassing situation in a...