People are living 10 YEARS longer than ever before but spend more time suffering from illness in old age
Our health is improving and we are living longer than ever before, a new study has revealed.
Even in some of the world's poorest nations life expectancy is rising, with an overall gain of 10 years since 1980.
Worldwide, men can now expect to live til they are 69 while women reach just short of their 75th birthday.
But healthy life expectancy - the number of years a person lives in good health - is also growing.
However, it only increased by six years, suggesting people may be living longer but they spend more time with an illness or disability.
Experts believe this is due to large... read more
- 10:06 This lorry driver's heartfelt letter to people of Derby after being...
- 10:05 Literary and Scientific Society: Inequality and social anxiety
- 10:05 Price of stamps to increase
- 10:03 Arsenal starlet stretchered off after suffering serious looking injury
- 10:03 Derbyshire still high risk area for bird flu
- 10:02 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 10:00 Driver who speeded along Lincoln's busiest city centre road ordered...
- 10:00 Ask Andy: Should couples have threesomes and how to bat off...
- 09:59 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:58 Chelsea star sends emotional message to Premier League rival
- 09:58 Taliban leader urges Afghans to plant more trees
- 09:56 ECB won't end asset purchase program all of a sudden, Weidmann says
- 09:56 Euro zone economy - real recovery or another Sirens' song?
- 09:54 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:52 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 09:48 3,000 people to have no Job Centre if Government plans go ahead
- 09:48 South African deputy finance minister named in police probe -...
- 09:46 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:45 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:45 PNE focus on the kids
- 09:44 Locked up in February: Pimps and violent kidnappers among Coventry...
- 09:44 COLUMN: Digital world opens door to crime
- 09:44 Nine shops we've loved and lost in Nuneaton
- 09:44 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 09:42 Men who sup more than seven pints of beer a week for several years...
- 09:41 COLUMN: Digital world opens door to crime
- 09:41 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 09:40 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 09:39 Has this Wirral village got too many pensioners living in it?
- 09:39 Man City player Yaya Toure explains why he's so good at penalties