Pensions: Compensation for those mis-sold annuities
Thousands of people in ill-health have been mis-sold pension annuities - an annual retirement income - and will be compensated, a regulator says.
An estimated 90,000 people were not told they could shop around or receive an enhanced annuity, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) said.
Enhanced annuities give people in poor health a better deal owing to their shorter life expectancy.
Compensation amounts to £120 to £240 for each year they had the product.
The FCA said it had unearthed concerns when firms spoke to customers on the phone. This led some customers to buy a standard annuity when... read more
- 07:38 Queen and Duke star in new portraits to mark 70th anniversary
- 07:35 Beaten, drugged and locked up in mental hospital
- 07:34 Man arrested in police operation outside prison in Doncaster
- 07:34 How to do a job badly
- 07:33 Toddler found in abandoned car after police chase in Rotherham
- 07:33 Double yellow lines
- 07:33 Hundreds of lost lives on roads every year
- 07:32 Warwickshire aiming to benefit from Coventry UK City of Culture bid
- 07:32 Volunteers plant 1,500 trees to help woodland grow
- 07:30 Tombola staff are all tuckered out for I’m a Celeb launch
- 07:28 Are these piles of slop the worst school meals ever made?
- 07:28 Happy anniversary, your Majesty! Queen releases official portraits...
- 07:28 Work starts on new £350,000 visitor centre which aims to create a...
- 07:26 The Weird, Wonderful Web
- 07:25 Burton Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel on Monday, November 20
- 07:25 Hartlepool boss keen to move on from Aldershot loss
- 07:24 Bella Hadid models underwear backstage as she gets ready for...
- 07:23 Brexit divorce bill: Theresa May to hold 'inner cabinet' talks
- 07:23 Serial killer Charles Manson dies aged 83 in hospital after falling...
- 07:22 Paedophile tried to get ‘father’ to sexually abuse his...
- 07:19 Manchester United transfer 'target' Willian could solve problem...
- 07:19 Man City battle Liverpool for German international and more...
- 07:14 Sunderland boxer Josh Kelly shows off his ‘Pretty Boy’ modelling...
- 07:14 Sunderland planning officers defended after claims of bullying over...
- 07:12 Black Friday deals may not be anywhere near as good as you think
- 07:10 How investment from the Northern Powerhouse means this firm has a...
- 07:10 Pramland is leaving Holderness Road after 67 years - but it isn't...
- 07:04 Strictly Come Dancing shock as Debbie McGee falls into the bottom...
- 07:04 Selena Gomez accused of lip syncing during first performance in a year
- 07:04 Kezia Dugdale was approached by I’m A Celebrity bosses within hours...