Pensioner's anger over water bill mix-up
A householder who discovered he had overpaid United Utilities to the tune of thousands of pounds has advised others to check their water bills carefully to avoid falling into the same trap.
Pensioner Alan Boon has been paying surface water drainage (SWD) charges at his Huyton property for nearly 20 years.
The SWD charge is levied by United Utilities for the removal of surface water to prevent streets and homes from flooding. Surface water is the rainwater which falls on the ground, roofs, roads, pavements and paths.
It was only when Mr Boon clubbed together with a neighbour to hire a... read more
- 08:24 Handing over the handlebars at cycle shop
- 08:24 Latest court reports from Kirklees Magistrates
- 08:24 Chief executive to leave Northumberland County Council
- 08:24 Burnley chairman Mike Garlick admits his club faces a battle to...
- 08:23 Council takes steps to get coach drivers using new facility
- 08:23 Town councillor criticises mayor for ditching civic party
- 08:23 Up to 5,000 troops ready to deploy as UK remains on 'critical'...
- 08:23 Paxton House set to celebrate anniversary
- 08:23 Tories' lead over Labour narrows in first poll since Manchester...
- 08:23 Sheffield hit-and-run driver in 'dark car' sought after knocking...
- 08:23 Go Outdoors to hold family fun day
- 08:23 China stocks end week higher, state-led buying offsets Moody's...
- 08:23 Road closed in Tutbury due to an accident involving one car
- 08:22 Engelbert Humperdinck new LP riding high in album charts
- 08:22 Michael Watson: Time to invest in making society better
- 08:21 Your guide to Bank Holiday opening times for Leeds pharmacies
- 08:21 Former school pays respects to Hartlepool mum killed in Manchester...
- 08:21 Meet the 'butterfly' baby: 11-month-old boy has skin so fragile...
- 08:21 MSPs have ‘no confidence’ in Scottish Police Authority chairman
- 08:20 North East Bank Holiday weekend weather guide - here's all you need...
- 08:18 Former Greens leader backs Labour’s Ian Murray in Edinburgh South
- 08:18 General Election Poll: Conservatives’ lead over Labour falls
- 08:18 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:17 LIVE Hull City news and rumours as Marco Silva's departure is...
- 08:17 Asylum seekers at Australian-run detention centre told to leave or...
- 08:17 New night shelter for Grimsby's homeless 'will save lives'
- 08:17 Man arrested in connection with Manchester Arena bomb after raid
- 08:16 Arsenal v Chelsea: What time is FA Cup final kick-off? What TV...
- 08:16 Face of the last victim: Girl, 15, is pictured as it emerges her...
- 08:14 Your guide to Bank Holiday opening times for Wakefield pharmacies