Pearson slump and weaker energy shares hit FTSE
Education company Pearson led Britain's top share index lower on Monday after saying in an update that market conditions continued to be challenging.
The blue-chip FTSE 100 index was down 0.6 percent at 6,970.30 points by 0859 GMT after climbing to a record high last week. Britain's mid-cap index was down 0.66 percent.
Pearson was down 9.3 percent after reporting a 7 percent drop in its nine-month organic sales and saying that retailers had further corrected their inventory demands in July and August.
"Pearson is now relying on its core educational businesses for forward momentum, but... read more
- 14:06 Dearne kids reconnect with nature through arts project
- 14:05 We’re backing the Grantham BID
- 14:04 Heather Wheeler: Variety of events in South Derbyshire never fails...
- 14:04 Childer Thornton £2m equine therapy centre to benefit people with...
- 14:04 Mirfield councillors have hit out over proposals to build hundreds...
- 14:03 Flammable fancy dress Hallowe’en warning is issued
- 14:03 Jus-Rol factory to be bought by bakery
- 14:03 Pools FA Cup clash switched
- 14:02 Gordon Anglesea: Former police chief guilty of child sex abuse
- 14:01 Carer who fought ISIS has restrictions lifted by police
- 14:01 Stock futures dip as investors assess earnings
- 14:01 Antonio Conte confirms major Chelsea boost: Key man fit to face...
- 14:01 Kevin de Bruyne questions Pep Guardiola's tactics after Barcelona loss
- 14:00 Rugby stars make up guard of honour for Anthony Foley funeral
- 13:59 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte basically confirms John Terry is ready...
- 13:58 Referee Howard Webb reveals former Coventry City striker Craig...
- 13:58 £52K upgrade to Featherstone gas distribution network
- 13:58 Half of British drivers set to hit the road for half-term
- 13:58 Shortlist announced for North East tourism awards
- 13:58 Muslim woman beaten up and threatened with death by family over...
- 13:57 Now KitKat prices may rise due to a weakening pound – cheers Brexit
- 13:56 Port Vale sign former Newcastle United, Hull City and Wigan player...
- 13:56 Firm slammed 'for wrongly stopping tax credit payments'
- 13:55 Christopher Magee said he would do a 'Philpotts' on woman he tried...
- 13:55 Dele Alli like a wild horse, says Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino
- 13:55 A590 and M6 roadworks for the coming week
- 13:53 Prior Park pupils look into the future
- 13:53 Rusty railings are revived along Spittal Promenade
- 13:52 WATCH: I'd swap my first Wrexham AFC goal if it meant FA Cup win...
- 13:52 Scottish Junior Cup preview: Who will still be involved after...