Paul O'Connell: I feel for the Lions... rugby is all about money now but Maro Itoje must face All Blacks and Dylan Hartley is my tip for the captaincy
Paul O'Connell fears that financial priorities in rugby may soon leave the British and Irish Lions an endangered species.
Ireland’s retired lock colossus went on three tours, so he knows better than most how those epic ventures to the Southern Hemisphere are still regarded as career peaks for all those involved from the home nations. His concern is that the modern-day focus on the bottom line could threaten the whole concept.
O’Connell believes change is needed to allow the Lions to remain a cherished fixture in rugby’s shifting landscape. Amid talks about the global calendar post-2019, the... read more
- 04:42 Swathes of snowdrops at Stowe
- 04:42 Celebrity architect to speak at book launch
- 04:39 NEW SMUGGLER SCOURGE: 17,000 Traffickers 'using Facebook to smuggle...
- 04:39 Mexico hints it will start TRADE WAR with the US if Donald Trump...
- 03:59 Boredom in Britain at a new low
- 03:40 Self-medicating by drinking wine before bedtime will only make your...
- 03:40 Five teenagers to face court on terror charges
- 03:35 David Miliband 'deeply concerned' for Labour's future
- 03:15 Let DEMOCRACY speak: Marine Le Pen SLAMS media for censoring French...
- 03:03 YOU’RE ON YOUR OWN: China CLASHES with Donald Trump over North...
- 02:59 Bolivia's San Pedro 'tourist prison', 20 years on
- 02:59 Could the next Messi come from Nigeria as Barcelona launches Lagos...
- 02:59 IS in Afghanistan: How successful has the group been?
- 02:59 Kim Jong-nam death: Unravelling the mystery
- 02:59 Did Trump win because his name came first in key states?
- 02:57 Move into a nursing home while you're still fit, says care tsar as...
- 02:53 HMRC rejects tax avoidance criticism
- 02:52 Can community projects offer a way to affordable care?
- 02:41 Illegal air pollution levels endangering health of capital's children
- 02:32 Guatemala expels abortion boat crew
- 02:32 Egypt's Coptic Christians flee Sinai after deadly attacks
- 02:21 City homes 'least affordable since 2009'
- 02:12 Boris Johnson to visit Egypt for talks with president
- 02:07 ADM brokerage arm shifts more trades onto computer screens
- 02:07 Alphabet's self-driving car unit sues Uber with trade theft charge
- 01:53 Fashion house BCBG Max Azria prepares for bankruptcy: sources
- 01:49 Smuggled rare ploughshare tortoises go on display for first time
- 01:49 China's Panchen Lama says to uphold 'glorious tradition' of patriotism
- 01:42 Get your dancing shoes on for Grimsby's Strictly Get Dancing
- 01:42 What mummy really thinks about everyday family life