Paul O'Connell: I feel for the Lions... rugby is all about money now but Maro Itoje must face All Blacks and Dylan Hartley is my tip for the captaincy
Paul O'Connell fears that financial priorities in rugby may soon leave the British and Irish Lions an endangered species.
Ireland’s retired lock colossus went on three tours, so he knows better than most how those epic ventures to the Southern Hemisphere are still regarded as career peaks for all those involved from the home nations. His concern is that the modern-day focus on the bottom line could threaten the whole concept.
O’Connell believes change is needed to allow the Lions to remain a cherished fixture in rugby’s shifting landscape. Amid talks about the global calendar post-2019, the... read more
- 15:13 Perfect scores for young pupils
- 15:13 Award-winning Yorkshire Meatball Company announce closure of its...
- 15:13 Clashes in Somalia displace 75,000 as rains threaten - U.N.
- 15:12 Chatburn woman (55) dies in house blaze
- 15:12 11-year-old Rangers fan bottled in head before Old Firm game set to...
- 15:12 Design competition launched for new Scottish baby box
- 15:12 Hull City appoint Neil McDonald as new assistant coach
- 15:11 Chatburn woman (55) dies in house blaze
- 15:10 Hawker Yard pop-up idea is long-term winner
- 15:10 Foreign firms to increase spending on Iraqi oil fields in Basra -...
- 15:10 What is sepsis? Deadly condition kills tens of thousands every year
- 15:10 Euro zone inflation outlook still in the balance - ECB's Hansson
- 15:09 LIST: 2016 Nottinghamshire bonfire night events
- 15:09 When is Ross County v Celtic? Kick-off time, TV channel and odds
- 15:08 Joe Schmidt extends stay as Ireland head coach
- 15:08 Poldark ‘rape scene’ complaints examined by media watchdog
- 15:07 Warwickshire trading standards: ‘ham and cheese’ pizzas did not...
- 15:07 Sikh temple incident update: one man cautioned as investigation...
- 15:07 See water shoot into the air during Gateshead High Street roadworks
- 15:06 Kenyan president commutes all death sentences to life in prison
- 15:06 Babies should share bedroom with parents - but in their own bed
- 15:06 South Yorkshire bid to beat domestic abuse
- 15:06 Cuerden jobs site moves step nearer
- 15:06 Man threatened with knife in attempted robbery in Stockton
- 15:05 Girl with incurable illness gets to be police dog handler for the day
- 15:05 Dad 'stalked by cancer' which claimed his wife and daughter
- 15:04 Man sought after he exposed himself on trains
- 15:04 Jail warning for threat to kill man
- 15:04 Adrian Greenwood stabbing: Man guilty of Wind in the Willows murder
- 15:03 Man had facial injuries after assault in Chesterfield bar