Paul Darling: Stakes are high for the high street and betting shops over problem gambling
This is a crucial time for the high street betting industry. In October, the UK Government published a consultation on the gambling industry. Most attention has focused on whether there should be a stake cut on fixed odds betting terminals (FOBTs) in betting shops and, if so, to what level.
As chairman of the Association of British Bookmakers, the trade association which represents most betting shops in this country, I have grave concerns that the debate is being derailed and the evidence ignored, in some cases wilfully.
I believe passionately in betting shops and the people who work in... read more
- 09:50 Plans lodged for new Rokeby school building
- 09:49 Welfare cheat illegally claimed over £4k after failing to declare a...
- 09:49 58 all out: England humiliated on first day of Test in New Zealand
- 09:49 Curiosity rover: 2,000 days on Mars
- 09:49 Instagram ‘influencers’ can flog stuff all day – but it’s weird...
- 09:48 Engineering new metal business
- 09:48 Trevor Bayliss lays into England flops after New Zealand skittle...
- 09:47 Wigan's Week In Court
- 09:47 Ooh la la! A hoppy twinning project for Wigan
- 09:47 Evacuee in Wigan learned to love lobscowse
- 09:46 Welfare cheat illegally claimed over £4k after failing to declare a...
- 09:46 Company scoops top award for third time
- 09:46 West Brom players were in tears after Bournemouth loss, admits...
- 09:46 Seaham Hall shortlisted for national tourism accolade
- 09:45 Two lads seen in Barrow 'are still missing' say police
- 09:45 £2.5m plans revealed to transform entrance to Whitehaven
- 09:45 Thousands of public sector workers go on strike across France
- 09:45 Post-Brexit passports ‘to be made in France’
- 09:44 Potholes: Is this the worst road in Harborough?
- 09:44 Axholme Bridleways Association clears up East Lound path
- 09:44 Woman targeted by robber in Doncaster street
- 09:44 Mail Memories: When Symington were top, top, top, top, top of the...
- 09:44 Welfare cheat illegally claimed over £4k after failing to declare a...
- 09:44 Middle class families who hire private tutors to help get their...
- 09:44 NoFit State to premier latest production Lexicon at the New Vic...
- 09:44 Ted Baker defies high street gloom with jump in profits but warns...
- 09:43 Company scoops top award for third time
- 09:43 Axholme Bridleways Association clears up East Lound path
- 09:41 Corringham murder probe after man found stabbed in street
- 09:41 Alleged Aberdeen hospital sex assault probed