Patients 'will suffer unless NHS budget rises'
Patients in England will see rising waiting times, rationing and cuts in the number of staff unless the NHS gets more money, health bosses say.
A five-year plan to increase the budget by £8bn a year by 2020 was only set out last year, but now hospital bosses have warned that is not enough.
Chris Hopson, of NHS Providers, said the settlement needed to be redrawn.
However, the Department of Health said "tough economic decisions" had allowed it "to invest in our NHS".
It comes ahead of the Autumn Statement next Wednesday when ministers will set out their spending plans.... read more
- 08:08 Lewis Hamilton makes statement about world title in Australian...
- 08:07 A590 closed at Lindal tonight 8pm-6am but road fully reopens...
- 08:07 Former Cumbria chief constable to lead response to Westminster...
- 08:07 Green light for measures aimed at cutting Cartmel congestion
- 08:07 Inspectors visit Dalton zoo ahead of fresh licence application
- 08:07 Young Barrow woman's life cut short after battle with addiction
- 08:07 Hundreds turn out to say goodbye to Sunderland dad Lee Downey
- 08:07 Alliance Trust Savings returns to full-year profit
- 08:06 Author Bill Bryson names St Andrew’s Church in Whissendine as one...
- 08:06 Roosting pigeons leave St Mary’s Church in Stamford with £30,000...
- 08:06 Villages such as Measham to become 'meat in noisy sandwich' over...
- 08:06 Campaigners hit out at Florida Farm decision
- 08:06 Bank branch to close its doors in September
- 08:06 Number of child sex offences recorded in Derbyshire drops
- 08:05 ‘I’m not going to retire’ says Hartlepool TV star Jeff Stelling
- 08:05 Plans for 30 homes in village near Shrewsbury submitted
- 08:04 Sheffield ice hockey player to be sentenced for sex attacks on girls
- 08:04 Guest column: Shale gas application was a complex call for everyone
- 08:03 Guest column: Shale gas application was a complex call for everyone
- 08:03 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:02 Real Madrid News: Star pair to Chelsea, new formation next term,...
- 08:01 John Edward: Is it time for all schools to have governors?
- 08:01 Reopen second Shrewsbury Railway Station entrance call
- 08:01 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:01 Lancaster City focusing on job in hand with seven games to go
- 08:00 Turkey says negotiating with aviation authorities on electronics ban
- 07:59 'Lukaku is absolutely flying at the minute' - Grimsby Town loanee...
- 07:59 Play-Offs are 'still possible' insists Grimsby Town boss Marcus...
- 07:59 French corporate margins, household income growth ease in...
- 07:59 Burglar with once-promising rugby career caught with tools after...