Pastor claiming disability benefits 'waded into sea' to baptise church members, court told
A church pastor claiming state benefits for severe mobility problems waded unaided into the sea to baptise new members of her congregation, a court heard.
Stephanie Meakin was also seen performing the hokey-cokey, walking up a hill and jogging to a cash point, it was claimed.
The bizarre accusations came as the DWP opened their case against the 51-year-old over allegations she falsely claimed benefits.
Meakin began claiming disability living allowance in 1995 after severe back issues.
Her application was initially legitimate - with Meakin complaining she needed help to prepare meals, help... read more
- 08:04 Judges to decide who has priority on a bus - wheelchair users or prams
- 08:04 The morning news headlines: Theresa May faces questioning by MPs...
- 08:03 Pictures from inside Pulse nightclub reveal devastation of worst...
- 08:03 Outsourcer Mitie replaces finance chief as it issues another profit...
- 08:03 Premier Foods lowers year profit forecast after weak third quarter
- 08:01 Chelsea done deal: Player leaks news he's signed Blues contract
- 08:01 Ander Herrera turns up at Juan Mata's house before training… and...
- 08:00 Manchester United star reacts to extending Old Trafford stay
- 08:00 Drink-driver could be sent to jail after breaching suspended sentence
- 07:59 Sheffield residents urged to be vigilant after spate of burglaries
- 07:59 WARNING: South Yorkshire residents targeted in 'Migrant Helpline' scam
- 07:59 Acclaimed artist links up with school for new project
- 07:59 Grant Thorold Library set to get major improvements thanks to huge...
- 07:58 1000 holidaymakers flown home from Gambia amid unrest fears
- 07:57 Woman raped by 'Daddy' as a child only discovered monster WASN'T...
- 07:57 FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted: The nightmarish tales of America's most...
- 07:57 Drink-driver could be sent to jail after breaching suspended sentence
- 07:56 Sheffield mum wants your help to find muggers who beat son...
- 07:56 Rotherham hospital
- 07:56 God bless the NHS
- 07:56 A tale of two MPs
- 07:56 The rogue traders
- 07:56 JD Wetherspoon sees higher costs, lower sales
- 07:56 WARNING: South Yorkshire residents targeted in 'Migrant Helpline' scam
- 07:56 Credit checker Experian says third quarter revenue up, keeps full...
- 07:56 Did you belong to any scooter clubs?
- 07:56 Small number of £2 coins could be worth a fortune thanks to a mistake
- 07:56 Anthony Joshua swamped by vile anti-Muslim Twitter abuse after...
- 07:56 Battle between prams and wheelchairs on buses to be resolved
- 07:56 Alexis Sanchez: I love playing with Mesut Ozil but he mustn't worry...