Park privatisation must be ditched, government told
by Sofia Lotto Persio
CAMPAIGNERS called on the government yesterday to abandon plans to privatise Britain’s parks amid fears that cuts are forcing local authorities to sell off spaces.
The government is carrying out an inquiry into the future of public parks, which closes on Friday. Campaign group We Own It and Survation carried out a survey of over 1,000 people, with 70 per cent of respondents saying that privatisation was unacceptable, while well over 80 per cent were unwilling to pay increased charges for park facilities.
The privatisation of public parks is already under way. In... read more
- 07:18 Ariana Grande shares message of support on anniversary of...
- 07:17 'There are so few places like it': Petition to save tree top walk...
- 07:15 Growing number of young people in the West Midlands receiving...
- 07:15 Farndon Bridge to close for major repair work
- 07:13 One lane of M1 exit slip road blocked near Leeds
- 07:12 One lane of M1 exit slip road blocked near Leeds
- 07:12 Cobblers move ‘ticked the right boxes’ for ambitious striker Williams
- 07:11 Unai Emery to Arsenal: Ex-PSG boss will be SHOCKED by this at...
- 07:11 Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona: Atletico Madrid star sent huge...
- 07:11 Malaysia's 1MDB scandal investigator tells of death threats and...
- 07:10 An open letter to anyone who watched the royal wedding and worries...
- 07:10 Fabletics drained my 16-year-old daughter’s bank account
- 07:08 Ratcliffe brace sees Trojans grind out victory to remain top of table
- 07:08 Potter receives funding boost as she chases Olympic dream
- 07:07 Carlisle man moves on after Manchester terrorist attack
- 07:07 Notorious Carlisle nuisance sent to prison for making abusive 999...
- 07:07 Flats set for approval despite parking fears
- 07:06 Is Bercow heading for a fall?
- 07:05 Over-sterile and germ-free homes ‘could be behind leukaemia...
- 07:04 Hartlepool United eye move for out-of-contract full-back
- 07:04 Man Utd coach Jose Mourinho ‘considers Eric Bailly sale’: Tottenham...
- 07:03 Schools: how to raise £1m a year
- 07:02 Business leaders say economic nationalism is biggest growth threat
- 07:01 Guest Column: Living with bipolar is tough but help is out there
- 06:58 Ariana Grande shares message of support on anniversary of...
- 06:58 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:57 Michael Sturrock: New rules on data are good business practice
- 06:57 Meghan Markle hints at feminist role in monarchy
- 06:57 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:56 UK’s new air pollution strategy ‘hugely disappointing’, says Labour