Paralysed man is able to feel again after 10 YEARS thanks to a mind-controlled robotic hand
A paralysed man has regained a sense of touch after 10 years while using a mind-controlled robotic hand.
In breakthrough tests, 28-year-old Nathan Copeland was able to feel subtle pressure in his own fingers when the artificial ones are touched.
The world first experiment is an early step in the quest to create prosthetics that can feel, US researchers claim.
Scroll down for video
HOW THE IMPLANT WORKS Researchers from the University of Pittsburgh studied the sensations felt by a 28-year-old man with tetraplegia from a spinal cord injury.
He had electrodes implanted into the part of the... read more
- 12:17 Heavy showers set to give way to sun for the bank holiday weekend...
- 12:17 Leamington bar owner: ‘I’ve changed my name to Batman in council...
- 12:17 Chin chin! It's bottoms up as The Crossing in Burton hosts second...
- 12:16 Ford wins Town Bowl for a second time
- 12:16 Increased police presence at Showground event
- 12:16 Premier League key dates 2017/18: When does the season start? When...
- 12:15 Greater Manchester Police warn of fraudulent online fundraising pages
- 12:15 Cold callers top poll of what drives people mad
- 12:14 Star man reveals all on Chelsea snub: I'm glad I rejected Antonio...
- 12:14 Arsenal v Chelsea LIVE: FA Cup final build-up and team news ahead...
- 12:14 Claude Makelele makes amazing N'Golo Kante gesture: This should be...
- 12:14 Saints seeking vital victory against Stade
- 12:13 BREAKING NEWS: Two men held on suspicion of murder after fatal...
- 12:13 Happy Birthday Belsay as hall celebrates its 200th anniversary
- 12:13 Manchester terror attacks: How long can police keep Nuneaton man in...
- 12:12 Police evacuate Royal Mail sorting office in Brighton
- 12:12 What's on during May half-term in and around Chester
- 12:12 Five things to do this half term without spending a penny
- 12:12 VIDEO: Hundreds turn out to Buxton candle vigil for Manchester victims
- 12:12 Germany vaccination: Fines plan as measles cases rise
- 12:11 Update on condition of mum seriously injured in Belper crash
- 12:11 Two West Yorkshire teenagers reported missing on Monday are found...
- 12:11 China's Dahua Tech plans up to $1 billion Hong Kong share sale:...
- 12:10 Third move as firm detects further growth
- 12:10 Cold callers top poll of what drives people mad
- 12:10 IPads 'help improve young pupils' skills'
- 12:10 Subtitling systems contain 'widespread' security threat
- 12:09 Boy behind Manchester vigil asks 'what will children do in heaven...
- 12:09 Jeremy Corbyn demands end to police cuts following Manchester...
- 12:09 SLIDESHOW: The sun shone for annual bike ride