Pakistan: Lt Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa named new army chief
Pakistan has named Lt Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa as the country's new army chief.
Canadian-trained and an officer for 35 years, he will take over one of the most powerful roles in the country on Tuesday.
He will succeed the popular Gen Raheel Sharif, who is retiring after a three-year stint during which he is credited with improving security.
Gen Bajwa has commanded the elite X Corps, responsible for the area along the ceasefire line in disputed Kashmir.
Raheel Sharif: The army chief who ruled without a coup
He was chosen over the highest ranking contender, the army's Chief of General Staff, Lt... read more
- 02:05 Johnny Marr returns to save us from ourselves
- 01:59 Is John Travolta’s Gotti one of the worst movies ever?
- 01:59 Google predicts when people will die ‘with 95% accuracy’
- 01:58 Drug 'reduces hearing loss' after childhood cancer treatment
- 01:56 The homes in Grimsby on sale from just £18,200 for first time buyers
- 01:55 O2 changes post policy after racist hate mail sent out
- 01:55 'I like coming to school because I get to eat here' - many children...
- 01:47 Cases of cancer in elderly to surge by 2035, report says
- 01:40 Youngsters clean for the Queen’s 90th
- 01:37 Bella Hadid looks every inch the trendsetter as she takes to the...
- 01:37 Sir Lenny Henry continues to display his dramatic weight loss at...
- 01:37 Love Island's Dr. Alex FINALLY gets the girl as 'emotional' fans...
- 01:37 Love Island: Laura, 29, tells 'childish' partner Wes, 20, to 'grow...
- 01:37 Brooklyn Beckham grapples with his camera as aspiring photographer,...
- 01:37 Ant McPartlin and his estranged wife Lisa Armstrong 'had an...
- 01:34 Ant McPartlin's new romance leaves Lisa Armstrong's parents worried...
- 01:27 Tech sector boom delivers £3.9 billion boost to economy
- 01:20 Dark rumours in Westminster over Tory whips’ behaviour
- 01:11 Where can UK students study for free?
- 01:04 US envoy Nikki Haley berates human rights groups
- 01:03 'Should I stay or should I go now?'
- 01:02 No sign of North Korea dismantling nuclear weapons, Mattis admits
- 01:02 Leicester City heap more misery on Huddersfield Town
- 00:59 in-Cumbria Business Breakfast hears county must gear up for...
- 00:59 Kestrel chick makes lucky escape
- 00:59 Millom mayor hosting meeting for public pool
- 00:58 Anne McIntosh: Division at G7 casts shadow over trade and Brexit
- 00:58 Jayne Dowle: Cannabis may be a cure but drugs culture is a sickness
- 00:58 Diana Johnson: Grayling’s rail farce isn’t funny, he must quit now
- 00:58 The Yorkshire Post says: Mobile menaces. Should schools ban phones?