Paddleboarder rescued seven miles from English Channel coastline
A paddleboarder wearing just a hat, fleece and shorts was rescued seven miles from the English Channel coastline.
The man, an EU national who has not been named, was spotted by divers off the coast of Dover at dawn on Sunday.
A Home Office spokesman said the man had become disorientated on his paddleboard.
He said: "The man was a German tourist in distress, but who was in the country legally."
He added: "He was not an illegal immigrant.
"He had been on the water for some time, having gone out on his paddleboard, and was picked up by HMS Valiant."
- 17:03 Quit monkeying around: Animals know when they are being treated...
- 17:03 Deformed skeletons found in the foetal position shed light on the...
- 17:03 30 firemen rush to serious fire off A46 by Damon's roundabout
- 17:03 Crash! Storm Doris blowns down huge tree in Parcel Terrace, Derby
- 17:03 Coastguard warning over 'wave dodgers'
- 17:02 Car damaged in ‘revenge attack’
- 17:02 Hearts picked the wrong guy and Ian Cathro must go – Hotline
- 17:01 Everton to lose winger Yannick Bolasie for the rest of the year
- 17:01 Chelsea make Frank Lampard announcement ahead of Swansea clash
- 17:01 Arsenal legend Martin Keown wants to see more from Shkodran Mustafi
- 17:00 East Barkwith postmaster and Rasen MP promote services
- 16:59 Live electricity cable brought down in Rhosgadfan leaving 30 homes...
- 16:57 Paul Merson: This is how Swansea will try and stop Chelsea... but...
- 16:57 Chelsea v Swansea TV channel, kick-off time, odds and recent meetings
- 16:56 County website is attracting the hits
- 16:56 Images of on-the-run killer Shaun Walmsley's escape released
- 16:56 MP scores concession on shared data
- 16:56 Coventry City Digest: Former Sky Blues boss Steven Pressley sacked...
- 16:56 Hull KR chairman Neil Hudgell blasts Salford and Marwan Koukash...
- 16:55 Skilled pilots tackle extreme Storm Doris winds to land plane at...
- 16:54 Your car could become your personal assistant - and know if you've...
- 16:53 The view from different sides of the fence in Spalding’s Pennygate
- 16:53 Watch: Vans crushed by fallen trees in Newhall as Storm Doris...
- 16:53 Is this the clue Man Utd are selling Wayne Rooney? Club shop...
- 16:53 Crackdown on abandoned vehicles in Northumberland
- 16:52 Plane crash lands off runway during Storm Doris
- 16:52 Trump tells CEOs he plans to bring back millions of jobs
- 16:52 Isco would be welcome at Barcelona, admits Jordi Alba
- 16:52 Six of the most iconic gigs at King Tut’s in Glasgow
- 16:51 Crackdown on abandoned vehicles in Northumberland