Paddleboarder rescued seven miles from English Channel coastline
A paddleboarder wearing just a hat, fleece and shorts was rescued seven miles from the English Channel coastline.
The man, an EU national who has not been named, was spotted by divers off the coast of Dover at dawn on Sunday.
A Home Office spokesman said the man had become disorientated on his paddleboard.
He said: "The man was a German tourist in distress, but who was in the country legally."
He added: "He was not an illegal immigrant.
"He had been on the water for some time, having gone out on his paddleboard, and was picked up by HMS Valiant."
- 09:12 WEEKEND WEB: Two events raise cash for sports pavilion in 2000
- 09:09 China’s great leap forward in science
- 09:07 Donald Trump blames the FBI for not doing enough to stop Florida...
- 09:07 British charity backed by Meghan Markle denies staff sexually...
- 09:07 Special announcement: Thomas the Tank Engine is arriving in Carlisle
- 09:07 Donna Air confirms split from James Middleton revealing they...
- 09:06 Shocking images after car ploughs into garden wall
- 09:06 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:06 Kirklees student Haroon among the best in UK
- 09:04 IPL 2018 salaries: How much are Kohli, Dhoni and Smith paid? Which...
- 09:04 Winter Olympics 2018: Team GB curler Eve Muirhead makes revelation...
- 09:03 Sexual ‘exploitation’ warning to driving instructors
- 09:03 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:02 Jon Venables 'has secret girlfriend who knows he murdered James...
- 09:02 Meghan Markle 'fears royal life and is feeling constrained by...
- 09:02 Manchester United players shocked as Jose Mourinho launches furious...
- 09:00 Many reasons to celebrate for Middleton Cheney church
- 08:59 How about having a magical marble mirror cake for breakfast?
- 08:57 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:56 Motorway driving offences that could land you with HUGE fines – and...
- 08:56 Manchester United player ratings: How did Lukaku, Sanchez and co do...
- 08:56 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:54 Huge surge in interest for company’s trees
- 08:49 Range of changes at organisation
- 08:49 Children’s author promoting region
- 08:48 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news round up
- 08:47 Police investigation underway after 'deliberate' garden fire...
- 08:46 Noticeboards considered by Berwick Town Council
- 08:46 Ikea is set to launch a vegan hot dog later this year
- 08:42 The Long Read: 100 years of the Steeple Aston WI