Overweight women face a greater risk of doctors missing their breast cancer tumour until it has become large – and should be screened more frequently, say experts
Women who are overweight or obese face an increased risk of doctors failing to detect their breast tumour until it has become large, new research has found.
Experts recommend that those with a higher Body Mass index (BMI) may need more frequent mammograms to help spot malignant growths sooner.
A team from Sweden discovered that women who were heavier were more likely to have a larger tumour when detected either at their mammogram or between screenings.
This might be because their breasts were larger and therefore the tumour was harder to find, said the study authors.
Another explanation... read more
- 10:18 Holly steps into the ruby slippers for stage debut
- 10:18 Adventurers’ tale given a twist for theatre’s outdoors season
- 10:18 Another chance to see Jason Manford muddling along
- 10:17 Ian Bell is backed to hit right notes again
- 10:17 Whatsapp is testing a Facebook sharing update which could prove...
- 10:16 Extra tickets for Lionel Richie's Northampton gig go on sale
- 10:15 More sponsors back the Coventry Telegraph Business Awards 2018
- 10:15 Accident in Nuneaton involving bus and car
- 10:15 Former Sunderland footballer Darron Gibson could face jail today...
- 10:13 Driver arrested after car rolls onto its roof
- 10:13 Videos and pictures: Andres Iniesta plays final match for Barcelona
- 10:13 Sante Fe school shooting: Suspect 'was rejected' by victim Shana...
- 10:12 Driver arrested after car rolls onto its roof
- 10:12 Woman ignores road closures to try and drive through half-marathon
- 10:12 Prince Harry and Meghan gave their wedding flowers to hospice patients
- 10:12 Ten-day heatwave to be broken by thunderstorms before return to...
- 10:10 Holly steps into the ruby slippers for stage debut
- 10:10 Event to give Borderlands growth deal a boost
- 10:10 Two arrested over 1988 backpacker murder
- 10:10 Noise alert for Preston residents as overnight railway line works...
- 10:10 The Big Walk event arrives in Carlisle
- 10:10 Homeless people are jailed and fined £1,000 as councils crack down...
- 10:10 Adventurer dies on his eighth attempt to climb Mount Everest
- 10:10 Join in the fun - you know the day and time!
- 10:09 Chelsea news: Eden Hazard knows about Man City interest, Pep...
- 10:09 Liverpool 'to open talks with Lyon over signing Nabil Fekir'
- 10:09 20-goal season star 'agrees deal to join Manchester United'
- 10:09 Station signs point out the healthy way to travel
- 10:09 Patel stars as Warwickshire beat Yorkshire
- 10:07 Boozed-up jelly bean burglar was caught after returning to get his...