Over 6,000 migrants plucked from sea in a single day, nine dead
About 6,055 migrants were rescued on Monday as they tried to reach Europe on about 40 boats, one of the highest numbers in a single day, Italy's coast guard said.
A statement said at least nine migrants had died and a pregnant woman and a child had been taken by helicopter to a hospital on the Italian island of Lampedusa, halfway between Sicily and the Libyan coast.
One coast guard ship rescued about 725 migrants on a single rubber boat, one of some 20 rescue operations during the day.
About 10 ships from the coast guard, the navy and humanitarian organisations were involved in the rescues,... read more
- 13:30 Chorley denied right at the death
- 13:30 Semi-final exit for Laura in Hong Kong
- 13:30 Lancashire Post PNE fans’ panel verdicts
- 13:30 Gally’s glad be back in action for PNE
- 13:30 Sean Gregan’s exclusive PNE column
- 13:30 Centre-forward role will be Mavididi’s long-term future says PNE boss
- 13:30 Gossip: Van man on the move?
- 13:35 Mansfield woman found drunk in car after uncovering boyfriend’s lie
- 13:30 LIVE: Preston North End news - Monday's updates from Deepdale
- 13:29 UCLAN GRADUATES 2017: School of Forensic and Applied Sciences
- 13:29 ‘Good’ rating for Morecambe beaches
- 13:29 Earth-sized planet discovered with 'mild' climate and peaceful...
- 13:29 Lancaster businessman wins two Pride in the Job awards
- 13:29 Driving examiners to stage 48-hour strike on day new test is launched
- 13:34 Under-fire Walsall boss insists: 'I am going to keep doing the job...
- 13:29 Work set to start on £17.5m Penwortham Bypass
- 13:34 CCTV clip: Men jailed for Chapeltown Road attack outside Leeds...
- 13:29 Calls for Chorley Council to reinstate town’s Flat Iron car park
- 13:34 "Big hug for Tony Pulis" - Pep Guardiola's verdict on West Brom's...
- 13:29 Preston bucks the trend as more stores open than close
- 13:34 The case for Michael O'Neill as next West Brom manager
- 13:29 COLUMN: Why are we all so horrid?
- 13:29 Tributes paid to former first citizen Bob Williamson
- 13:29 Victoria Atkins follows in her political parents' footsteps
- 13:32 Morecambe Community High School head to resign
- 13:29 Garstang is blooming marvellous
- 13:32 I would not be here without the outdoors, says Blackpool mountain...
- 13:29 Behind the scenes at Audi's new design centre
- 13:29 Police continue to quiz man, 49, in Gaia Pope disappearance probe
- 13:33 Who was Sir John Whinnerah and why is the Tesco roundabout in...