Outcry over death of Indian girl, 13, after 68-day fast
A children's rights group has called for Indian police to arrest the parents of a 13-year-old girl from the minority Jain community who died after observing a religious fast for 68 days.
The girl, Aradhana Samdhariya, died due to cardiac arrest on Oct. 3, a day after her family held a procession in the southern city of Hyderabad in which she rode in a chariot with her parents to celebrate the end of her fast.
The tragedy exploded into the national headlines at the weekend, and raised new questions about whether India's tradition of religious tolerance is failing to protect the most... read more
- 14:36 Part of road to remain closed for third night after gas leak
- 14:36 TRAVEL: All trains at a standstill after signal fault at...
- 14:35 New Fiat 500L - updated SUV range revealed for 2017
- 14:35 Rebecca on point to be a top ballerina
- 14:35 Thousands of pounds of car buyer's cash stolen
- 14:34 Hollywood star Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson recreates embarrassing...
- 14:34 Sheffield hero 'jumped out of way of blazing gas canister' to alert...
- 14:34 Manchester terror attack: The victims and those who are still missing
- 14:34 Victims of Manchester attack named
- 14:33 Thousands of pounds of car buyer's cash stolen
- 14:32 Parent calls meeting over her concerns over a Doncaster school
- 14:32 Man, 87, jailed for historical abuse on young girls
- 14:32 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 14:31 Mum hits out at school bans on fidget spinners
- 14:31 TRAVEL: All trains at a standstill after signal fault at...
- 14:31 Buxton mum performs at Royal Albert Hall with Beach Boys
- 14:30 Manchester bomber was a ‘mule’ using explosive made by...
- 14:30 Mother Michelle Kiss named as victim of Manchester Arena terror attack
- 14:30 Poignant memories and warm welcome on Falklands return trip
- 14:29 Ronald Koeman looking to add creativity to his Everton squad this...
- 14:29 PLAYER RATINGS: Steven Gerrard looks good during Liverpool's win...
- 14:25 This bride got married on the same day as Pippa Middleton – in the...
- 14:25 Community spirit in Manchester is not surprising but it is...
- 14:25 German shipping group Hapag Lloyd completes merger with Arab peer UASC
- 14:25 Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service seeks apprentices
- 14:25 Parent calls meeting over her concerns over a Doncaster school
- 14:24 Elephant walkabout trumpets play’s arrival in Northampton
- 14:24 London stock exchange commends Northampton company as one of the...
- 14:24 New presenter for 2017 LOVE Northumberland Awards
- 14:22 Manchester attack: Bomber was criminal who had 'no religion' says...