'Out of kilter' university pay to be addressed, says regulator
The chairman of England's new higher education regulator has vowed to address the "out of kilter" pay of some university vice-chancellors.
Sir Michael Barber told the BBC the Office for Students would be publishing comparisons with other staff and pressure those setting wages.
But he said the authority did not have powers to set a pay cap.
Bath University's vice-chancellor has faced protests by students and staff over her £468,000 pay deal.
When it begins work in 2018 the Office for Students will be able to examine whether universities offer value for money and require... read more
- 20:16 Boris Johnson compares Russia's World Cup to Nazi Olympics amid...
- 20:13 Mark Zuckerberg admits Facebook made mistakes after data...
- 20:13 Manchester United prepare £40m bid for Raphael Varane to solve...
- 20:10 How do companies use my loyalty card data?
- 20:10 Liverpool star Emre Can explains Bayern Munich transfer decision...
- 20:10 Shoreham air crash: Pilot Andy Hill to be charged over deaths
- 20:09 Burton man in a critical condition after A38 crash near Fradley
- 20:05 Prepare for more extreme weather: Storms like the 'Beast from the...
- 20:05 Thought deleting your Facebook was enough? Firm and its advertisers...
- 20:02 Bargain Booze owner Conviviality must raise £125m to halt bankruptcy
- 19:58 Council gets tough on Priory Square
- 19:55 Liverpool legend Phil Thompson makes ‘pushover’ claim about Mohamed...
- 19:54 Memorial to victims of London terror attacks on anniversary
- 19:54 May told to fix fishing plans or rebels will sink Brexit deal
- 19:53 Son of former Coventry City star opens up about his grief following...
- 19:53 'Dead certs' - Experts covering Coventry City's promotion rivals...
- 19:52 Genetic profiling could breed cattle resistant to tuberculosis
- 19:51 Boris likens Russia World Cup to Hitler's Berlin Olympics
- 19:49 Long haul operator to land at Doncaster Sheffield Airport
- 19:48 'We made mistakes' - Facebook's Zuckerberg
- 19:46 Scammers target Cumbria homeowners
- 19:44 Scammers target Cumbria homeowners
- 19:42 Indoor bouldering wall to open in Ellesmere Port this summer
- 19:39 Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City prepare transfer battle for Real...
- 19:39 Paul Pogba next club odds: La Liga, Serie A sides among favourites...
- 19:36 Lack of US election auditing raises fears of Russian vote meddling...
- 19:36 EU leaders accused of not protecting citizens’ rights in Brexit deal
- 19:33 Scottish nurses have had to donate sanitary products to patients
- 19:33 Dundee council’s failures ‘allowed’ worker to embezzle £1 million
- 19:33 The Steve Bruce transfers - every Aston Villa transfer deal rated...