Osborne's pension and savings revolution will boost Treasury coffers until 2022 - but then costs will start to sting
The Government's pension and savings reforms over the past six years will boost Treasury coffers between now and 2021-22, but end up costing taxpayers an extra £5billion a year.
The popular pension freedom reforms are bringing forward tax receipts from the future as over-55s dip into their pots, but savings giveaways via new Isa limits and top-ups mean that handouts to the public will rise over the longer term, analysis by the independent Office for Budget Responsibility reveals.
It looked at a whole series of pensions and savings changes announced by ex-Chancellor George Osborne since 2010... read more
- 13:29 Roads now open following serious collision near Northampton
- 13:29 Edinburgh’s Archangels syndicate takes top spot
- 13:29 Man City chief provides major update on Jorginho deal
- 13:29 Culture secretary urges BBC to appoint female Question Time host
- 13:29 Shamed MSP Mark McDonald 'should be suspended from Holyrood'
- 13:28 Mum's airing cupboard death 'devastated family'
- 13:28 Police car collides with bus in Newport, injuring 10
- 13:26 Anger in Cumbria at 'valueless' northern rail slur
- 13:25 Carlisle comes up trumps when it comes to clean air
- 13:25 Anger in Cumbria at 'valueless' northern rail slur
- 13:25 Dinosaur bones, shark teeth and crocodile armour at popular museum
- 13:25 Theresa May’s backdrop collapses again in Prime Ministerial...
- 13:25 Teen remanded over Wakefield city-centre stabbing
- 13:24 Top Grasmere chef proves he can handle the heat
- 13:24 A thief who struck at a shopping centre has been locked-up and...
- 13:23 Parents swap the suburban life for living on the open road in an...
- 13:23 'You can lose my suitcases but don't take my stroopwafel!' United...
- 13:23 Book review: The Blood Road, by Stuart MacBride
- 13:23 Book review: Assurances, by JO Morgan
- 13:23 Trader's €1bn deals voided after training platform mix-up
- 13:23 Nato chief says Trump-Putin meeting would not contradict policy
- 13:23 Iran's female football supporters make history at World Cup stadium...
- 13:23 Myrtle Allen obituary
- 13:23 Ulverston hailed as third best town in the country to live in
- 13:23 Ambulance crews get police award for work to try and save life of...
- 13:22 Measles cases are on the rise in Hull
- 13:22 Police record 86 cases of child grooming in Nottinghamshire in...
- 13:21 'The British Real Madrid ay we!' - Wolves fans react to that adidas...
- 13:21 Sophie Gradon's death sparks heartbroken tributes from Love Island...
- 13:21 Teen remanded over Wakefield city-centre stabbing