Osborne: Rich richer because of monetary policy
The rich have become richer because of the UK's policies of low interest rates and quantitative easing, former Chancellor George Osborne has said.
Talking to Bloomberg TV, he said that UK monetary policy had made "life difficult for ordinary savers".
The policies were brought in after the banking crisis of 2008 and the subsequent recession.
He said the policies had been "very necessary" to keep the economy strong, but their impact had to be mitigated.
"We need to offset the very necessary loose monetary policy, and the distributional consequences that is having.... read more
- 15:51 Heritage Lottery Fund withdraws funding for new railway museum
- 15:51 Nicola Sturgeon criticises ‘enraged’ Tories over tax rises
- 15:50 Sex attacker Wayne Hobell 'terrorised and humiliated' students...
- 15:50 Rise in Leicestershire exports to EU - despite Brexit
- 15:50 These are the new destinations Three customers can now visit...
- 15:50 Celtic star Scott Brown is just like Liverpool legend Steven...
- 15:50 I can't wait to get started says new Wrexham AFC striker
- 15:49 JAILED: Bulwell man behind bars for historic sexual offences
- 15:49 West Brom's Jay Rod is a top Baggie for the hospice
- 15:48 Nightmare neighbour tries to set dog on couple before driving car...
- 15:46 Danger driver spared jail again after bereavement causes his...
- 15:46 Razzmataz talents perform in Disneyland
- 15:46 Man jailed for headbutting four people
- 15:46 Accountant stole £2.5m from car dealership so he could buy lavish...
- 15:45 Kirby Misperton fracking protest costs taxpayer over £560,000
- 15:45 Mum's anger over obesity letter
- 15:45 A lightning moment of clarity for two Garstang businesswomen
- 15:44 Wanted: Police issue photos of rush robbery suspects after victims...
- 15:44 Plans to turn pub into 29 homes approved
- 15:44 Inquest to be held into death of Jennifer Blackwell after police...
- 15:43 The Crown season 2 cast: Who was Billy Wallace? Who was Princess...
- 15:43 WWE legend Ric Flair reveals the secret to success for John Cena
- 15:43 Police plea to trace missing South Shields man
- 15:42 HEAVY SNOW ON THE WAY: Top tips for driving in wintry conditions
- 15:42 NATIVITY: Wooler First School
- 15:42 VIDEO: Youlgrave baker makes nativity cake masterpiece to help school
- 15:42 NATIVITY: Warkworth CofE Aided Primary School
- 15:42 The 11 new destinations where Three has scrapped roaming charges...
- 15:42 NATIVITY: Amble Links First School
- 15:41 Pools boss and wife play Santa for deserving Hartlepool children