Opinion: Brexit is happening and remainers like me have to get over it
So now we know. The UK will officially apply to leave the European Union in March next year.
And unless something goes wrong, we’ll be out of it by the summer of 2019.
What Prime Minister Theresa May has announced is the date that the UK will trigger article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which we signed up to in 2007.
Strictly speaking, the referendum and all the debates that have taken place since then were just a private matter for us.
Leaders of other countries know what’s going on, and might have pretty strong views about it. But nothing about our relationship with the EU has officially... read more
- 17:05 North Yorkshire County Council agrees to close...
- 17:05 Google has just created what they claim are the bluest blue jeans...
- 17:04 POISON PROBE: Police investigate after cat is found dead in Ripley
- 17:04 Three-car crash causes delays on the A52
- 17:04 York to be at ‘forefront’of UK’s transport revolution
- 17:04 Reality Check: Are business rates figures misleading?
- 17:02 Car on fire after crash with lorry on M40 near Warwick services
- 17:02 Cuteness alert! Five baby rabbits looking for new home after being...
- 17:00 Shaw absent from Manchester United FC squad along with Rooney and...
- 17:00 ITV announcer calls Emmerdale’s Aaron and Robert ‘Aaron and...
- 16:58 Ben Stokes gets full IPL clearance as England allow the all-rounder...
- 16:58 Floyd Mayweather Sr mocks UFC star Conor McGregor: 'I would beat...
- 16:58 Muslim teacher denied entry to US 'not given reason'
- 16:58 Scotland prop Gordon Reid urges his team to stand up against Wales'...
- 16:56 Vile Doncaster paedophile jailed for raping young teenager who fell...
- 16:56 Princess Anne supports Rainbow House
- 16:56 Walton raises the roof for St Barnabas Grantham Hospice
- 16:55 Sutton goalkeeper Wayne Shaw 'in tears' after resigning following...
- 16:55 Walkers in onesies rescue man from river at 2.30 in the MORNING
- 16:55 Family secrets of York’s disgraced Railway King
- 16:55 Coventry City going to Wembley: Calm restored at Butts Park Arena
- 16:53 Car on fire after crash with lorry on M40 near Warwick services
- 16:53 Former head teacher charged with sexual offences against adults
- 16:53 Prestatyn grandfather stepped in front of train to end torture of...
- 16:53 Take part in charity Swimathon at Melton Waterfield Leisure Centre
- 16:52 Prince Harry draws crowds to Newcastle's Quayside on whirlwind visit
- 16:52 Bridgen calls for Trump apology from House of Commons speaker John...
- 16:52 Was James Bond caught parking illegally in Leicester?
- 16:52 Liverpool plot shock move for £18m West Ham star: Jurgen Klopp has...
- 16:52 MP’s support for councillor