Opinion: A grand sweep of 1960s brilliance
The 1960s and 70s were a time of hope and optimism and many of us growing up at that time were inspired by the new architecture to see the world as our oyster.
We, too, could aspire to live and work in shiny modern houses and offices full of glass and light.
For a later generation, these symbols of the emergence from post-war austerity were part of their familiar landscape, loved and taken for granted, until the gaping holes left by demolition brought a shock realisation of their value.
Not all of it was good - some of it has not stood the test of time.
There are buildings that should be... read more
- 11:36 Arrest after man dies on Radio 1 Big Weekend shuttle bus
- 11:36 Help! Mum locked out of house with child trapped inside
- 11:36 Bank Holiday weather: More thunderstorms could strike Yorkshire
- 11:35 Dunkirk: Harry Styles reveals the truth behind THAT water scene -...
- 11:35 Kaiser Chiefs to rock OAT
- 11:34 Conspiracy theory behind dates of recent terror attacks - just...
- 11:34 What will the weather be like in South Yorkshire over the Bank...
- 11:34 Bank Holiday weather: More thunderstorms could strike Yorkshire
- 11:33 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha is just the man to help party-loving...
- 11:32 Kim Jong-un watches as North Korea tests new weapons
- 11:32 Police appeal after North East sex attack on 15-year-old girl
- 11:31 Reports of flash flooding in Yorkshire as stormy weather hits region
- 11:30 Watch: M5 driver cuts up then BRAKE TESTS car towing caravan
- 11:30 9 things we learned at Birmingham Pride
- 11:30 Hugely successful dance festival will be extended next year
- 11:30 British Airways disruption continues after IT failure
- 11:29 Newcastle Airport still subject to flight disruption from Heathrow...
- 11:29 Mass brawl at popular Tyne drinking spot leads to 6ft fence being...
- 11:28 Where does the Environment Agency have flood alerts in place in...
- 11:28 MIDAS SHARE TIPS: Specialist insurer Global Benefits Group proves...
- 11:28 US law firm claims I have £110k in shares to claim but I'll have to...
- 11:27 Police issue photo of Manchester attacker, believe bomb made in...
- 11:27 Arsenal primed to beat Chelsea to Serie A hitman Andrea Belotti in...
- 11:26 Police appeal for missing man
- 11:26 Libya Benghazi: Group blamed for 2012 attack on US mission disbands
- 11:26 Sri Lanka floods: Residents afraid as more rain forecast
- 11:26 White House didn’t include gay prime minister’s husband in...
- 11:25 Ivan Perisic to Man Utd: Jose Mourinho's possible line-up next...
- 11:23 Warning after wood burner causes shed blaze
- 11:23 South Africa: Jacob Zuma 'plans second home in Dubai'