Opinion: A grand sweep of 1960s brilliance
The 1960s and 70s were a time of hope and optimism and many of us growing up at that time were inspired by the new architecture to see the world as our oyster.
We, too, could aspire to live and work in shiny modern houses and offices full of glass and light.
For a later generation, these symbols of the emergence from post-war austerity were part of their familiar landscape, loved and taken for granted, until the gaping holes left by demolition brought a shock realisation of their value.
Not all of it was good - some of it has not stood the test of time.
There are buildings that should be... read more
- 08:14 Floods kill at least 13 people in central Vietnam
- 08:13 Ryanair adds Naples to East Midlands Airport summer flying schedule
- 08:11 HEALTH: What hope do we have?
- 08:10 Report reveals where in the UK over 50s struggle most to get a GP...
- 07:59 DECEMBER DECIDER: Choose your favourite Hull KR left-centre
- 07:59 Can Hull City end 30 years of hurt at Middlesbrough?
- 07:59 Banned driver Robert Wilson used false number plates to drive...
- 07:58 Antonio Conte opens up on Chelsea’s title chances following Man...
- 07:50 Man United star eyed by Real Madrid: Jose Mourinho considering swap...
- 07:43 Chelsea and Crystal Palace could do transfer business in January
- 07:43 Man United key man in contract stand-off: Red Devils star demanding...
- 07:43 'He turned blue and stopped breathing': 2lb baby Josh ready to...
- 07:35 UFC News: McGregor on being stripped of belt, Jones talks failed...
- 07:35 Alan Shearer: Arsenal are a much better team because of this player
- 07:34 Report reveals where in the UK over 50s struggle most to get a GP...
- 07:29 Serious crash occurs in Chesterfield
- 07:28 Big Interview: Ex-PNE midfielder Simon Davey
- 07:22 Alan Shearer: This Chelsea star is back to his best under Antonio...
- 07:22 Arsenal readying shock January bid for Chelsea star: He could...
- 07:20 Obama bars China's Fujian from buying Aixtron's U.S. business
- 07:20 Missing out on West Ham trip in FA Cup trip was biggest regret of...
- 07:20 Pioneer of twinning association dies
- 07:16 Christmas 2016: When are the last posting dates for Christmas?
- 07:15 The 16 worst things about being a tall guy
- 07:14 Drug-dealing Derby teenager had 21 ecstasy tablets at Y Not festival
- 07:14 Dad inspires Jaime’s marathon attempt
- 07:14 Marathon man Ben inspires school pupils at St Gilbert’s Primary...
- 07:14 Hero cab driver’s ‘reward from God’
- 07:13 Lewis Skelton's devastated family visit scene of police shooting in...
- 07:13 17 Elf on the Shelf ideas to seriously impress your kids