Opera reviews: Giovanna d’Arco, Don Carlo and Don Giovanni
This year’s four main opera productions take place in theatres that Verdi would have known during the time he lived in the neighbouring town of Busseto.
Parma’s Farnese Theatre is one
of the oldest in Italy, built by Duke Ranuccio I in 1618. Its first production was a lavish spectacle for which Claudio Monteverdi wrote the score, when the stage was flooded for the enactment of a naval battle.
The semi-circle of tiered seating and a double storey of arches provides an imaginative space for director Peter Greenaway, whose gloriously baroque films include The Draughtsman’s Contract and The... read more
- 14:56 VIDEO: Police investigate shooting incident in Leeds
- 14:56 Beauty and the Beast mistake: Plot hole EXPLAINED by mind-blowing...
- 14:56 Leicestershire business Sweater Shop shuts down with owners blaming...
- 14:56 Which friends have deleted you on Facebook? Here is how you find out
- 14:56 Spider-Man Homecoming movie trailer 2: FIRST LOOK at Captain...
- 14:55 Nadine Coyle launches 2017 search for Specsavers Spectacle Wearer...
- 14:54 Commercial property: offices with added extras
- 14:54 Chelsea eye ambitious transfer of Bayern Munich star David Alaba
- 14:53 Neighbours spoiler: Is Toadie going to LEAVE Ramsay Street amid...
- 14:52 Yemen says it captures senior al Qaeda leader
- 14:52 Rabbit sale ban across Lincolnshire to stop Easter impulse buying
- 14:52 Would you still vote to leave the EU?
- 14:52 Shameful Derbyshire uncle threatened to use blow torch on niece’s feet
- 14:51 Derbyshire bird-watching spot destroyed by 'vandals'
- 14:51 Wizard of Wishaw John Higgins begins title quest in China with...
- 14:50 Echo and signed strip featured among time capsule items at new...
- 14:48 Takeaway delivery driver robbed of cash and hit in the head in...
- 14:48 Reports of Coca-Cola cans contaminated by human waste...
- 14:48 22-storey Pall Mall tower APPROVED - and other things we learned...
- 14:48 Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo used to CRY when this happened
- 14:45 POLL: If the EU referendum was held again today, how would you vote?
- 14:45 White Rose Shopping Centre celebrates 20 years with birthday bonanza
- 14:45 Wall St. set to open slightly lower
- 14:45 Trump to sign order sweeping away Obama-era climate policies
- 14:45 The best Easter eggs for kids - choose from Cadbury, Marks and...
- 14:45 A year on, regal Suu Kyi struggles to move Myanmar on from conflict
- 14:45 Easter eggs perfect for adults - choose from Lindt, Cadbury,...
- 14:45 The best luxury Easter eggs from Lindt to Prestat, Waitrose and more
- 14:44 Musical treat with top brass talent
- 14:45 London-Paris business and tourism partnerships announced