Oops! Amateur fossil hunter accidentally smashes a rare 200 million-year-old dinosaur specimen to pieces - and then spends TWO YEARS gluing it back together
An amateur palaentologist who discovered a 200 million-year-old fossil accidentally smashed it to pieces while he was excavating it.
But then, instead of giving up on the fossil, he spent two years painstakingly gluing it back together.
The fossil came from a plesiosaur, long-necked marine reptiles that were in fact distant relatives of the dinosaurs, and is only one of two specimens of its species ever found in the UK.
THE FOSSIL'S IMPORTANCE The fossil came from a plesiosaur, long-necked marine reptiles that were in fact distant relatives of the dinosaurs.
It is only one of two specimens... read more
- 07:44 New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern gives birth to baby girl
- 07:44 MotoGP news: Valentino Rossi strategy to beat Marc Marquez revealed...
- 07:44 Shock deal for Arsenal midfielder looks nailed on bookies claim
- 07:42 Scots urged to turn to tap to arrest plastic bottle scourge
- 07:42 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:41 Call for upskirting bill to include 'deepfake' pornography ban
- 07:41 Jacinda Ardern: New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- 07:41 Minibus carrying 16 passengers crashes into garden on A1028 in Ulceby
- 07:40 Day four of Burton Bridge roadworks gets under way - live updates
- 07:39 Vulnerable pupils abandoned by schools, head of Ofsted warns
- 07:38 Thieves steal from person's mobility scooter while parked in...
- 07:38 100th birthday celebration for Washington dairy queen Elsie
- 07:36 Patriotic Hartlepool DJ flying the flag for England in the World Cup
- 07:35 BAE Systems wins £150 million tank contract with US Marine Corps
- 07:34 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:33 RISE AND SHINE: Weather, travel and fun features to kick-start your...
- 07:33 Dad-of-10 who fled family after crash dies in prison during...
- 07:33 Bosses make humble public apology after worker got just...
- 07:30 Dixons Carphone sees big profits fall
- 07:29 M55 death crash driver jailed - heartbroken partner recalls...
- 07:27 Parks suffer as councils cut £15 million from green space budgets
- 07:27 Leeds drag and cabaret bar set to take show to another level
- 07:27 Leeds cycle ride to support clean air
- 07:27 Rugby fans to get first glimpse of new 10,000 seater stadium
- 07:26 Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez in 'secret agreement' to ruin...
- 07:26 Chelsea transfer news: Blues set to battle Villarreal over Napoli...
- 07:26 Don Your Way column: Abuse, angry complaints and an email to my...
- 07:26 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:26 RISE AND SHINE: Weather, travel and fun features to kick-start your...
- 07:25 Coventry traffic news: Ring road, M6, A46, A45, M69 and more