One of the first patients to be fitted with a defibrillator under his skin dies after suffering heart failure at 21
A father who was only the second person in the UK to be fitted with a defibrillator under his skin has died.
Blake Calverley, now 21, suffered from the same rare heart condition as former Bolton Wanderers footballer Fabrice Muamba which caused an enlarged organ.
Doctors wired a device to his heart - that bulged from the left side of his chest - and saved his life several times - but his family were warned he was 'incurable'.
It delivered a powerful shock without warning when his heart began to fail and was responsible for keeping him alive.
He was expected to survive for around 12 months... read more
- 06:18 Paul Kirkland: How plight of butterfly may hit Scotland’s wild flowers
- 06:18 Table service introduced at McDonald’s in Daventry
- 06:18 'Put on a show': Northamptonshire man caught trying to pay for...
- 06:18 Antarctic glacier map to forecast rise of sea levels
- 06:18 'You think it can't get any worse and then it does': Pensioners'...
- 06:17 Darren McGarvey: The defamation of Govanhill is lazy moral posturing
- 06:17 Aidan Smith: Why Kezia Dugdale needs to out-purr George Galloway
- 06:17 Paris Gourtsoyannis: Budget is a test of Scots Tory pledge
- 06:17 Church of Scotland in plea to Chancellor over benefits reform
- 06:17 Hasselbaink urges Cobblers to use Scunthorpe defeat as ‘learning...
- 06:17 Warning on trade as UK ministers prepare to offer more cash
- 06:17 Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo thinks Barcelona have already...
- 06:17 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho risks wrath of Old Trafford stars with...
- 06:17 Real Madrid news: Alexis Sanchez emerges as SHOCK target for La...
- 06:17 One dead after fire breaks out in block of flats in north London
- 06:15 Man denies threatening alleged victim with a knife in Burton town...
- 06:13 Mark Robins reveals the one that got away; What Coventry City can...
- 06:12 Birmingham Live: Breaking news, travel and weather across the...
- 06:12 Wolves news and transfer rumours: Midfielder linked with exit;...
- 06:12 Aston Villa news and transfer rumours: Johnstone latest; Sunderland...
- 06:12 West Brom next manager: Alan Pardew interested; Tony Pulis releases...
- 06:12 After the liberation of Mosul, an orgy of killing
- 06:11 Campaign sees 159 firearms removed from Warwickshire’s streets already
- 06:11 Potential patients to be screened for lung cancer in shop car parks
- 06:11 Alexis Sanchez is the LeBron James of the Premier League according...
- 06:10 South Tyneside model set to compete in World Supermodel final in China
- 06:10 Action call over litter at South Tynesikde beauty spot
- 06:10 Safety fears over Hebburn homes plan
- 06:06 Super Slimmer loses 6st - and look at her now
- 06:05 Numbers back up