One of final Dunkirk rescue survivors dies aged 99
One of the last remaining survivors of the Royal Navy’s Dunkirk rescue operation has died aged 99.
Vic Viner, who spent six days and nights on the beaches during the Second World War rescue mission in 1940, died on Thursday, his family said.
The 99-year-old, who served with the navy between 1933 and 1947, was a ‘beach master’ during the evacuations and marshalled troops off the sand and onto the little ships.
Mr Viner was believed to be one of the last surviving Royal Navy veterans to take part in Operation Dynamo.
Ian Gilbert, former commodore of the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships... read more
- 12:57 Large traveller group who "broke into land" in Anfield to be moved...
- 12:57 Fun, games - and butties!
- 12:57 TEN shootings in 23 days as gun thugs cause misery across Merseyside
- 12:57 Johnny Depp on Donald Trump: Crime or free speech?
- 12:57 Dani Alves praises Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola as agents...
- 12:56 Disruption on trains between Matlock and Belper
- 12:56 COMMENT: Our health service is wonderful
- 12:56 Watch: Miracle escape for motorists after car becomes wedged under...
- 12:56 QUICK QUIZ: The week in questions...
- 12:56 Important safety message from Derbyshire police
- 12:56 Wylfa Newydd can 'learn lessons' from report into 'risky and...
- 12:56 Alex Sandro to Chelsea: Juventus ace perfect fit, he's second best...
- 12:54 Man rushed to hospital after Lye town centre machete attack
- 12:54 Couple buy former hotel and pub building and plan to redevelop it
- 12:53 Yuri Drozdov: The man who turned Soviet spies into Americans
- 12:53 Germany quashes gay men's convictions and offers compensation
- 12:53 COMMENT: Our health service is wonderful
- 12:53 Important safety message from Derbyshire police
- 12:53 Young woman from Harrogate in hospital after Land Rover smash near...
- 12:52 Three people were taken to hospital after a crash involving two...
- 12:52 WATCH Amazing drone footage of former American Adventure theme park
- 12:52 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network
- 12:52 Ireland raises three billion euros from 'milestone' AIB sale
- 12:52 UK inflation expectations edge up only slightly in June - Citi/YouGov
- 12:52 Nemanja Matic agrees personal terms with Manchester United ahead of...
- 12:50 "I'm a reformed character": Leeds barber and Love Island contestant...
- 12:50 Teenage girl in critical condition after being hit by car in Leeds...
- 12:50 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network
- 12:50 Monaco star Kylian Mbappe could be on his way to adidas from Nike...
- 12:50 Frank de Boer 'very excited' by prospect of managing Crystal Palace...