One million French smokers quit in a year amid anti-smoking measures
France has seen a sharp fall in the number of people smoking daily, with one million fewer lighting up from 2016-2017. a survey suggests.
Such a drop has not been seen in a decade, according to Public Health France, which carried out the study.
There has also been a decline in smoking among teenagers and those on low incomes.
The study pointed to the slew of anti-smoking measures introduced to France as a likely reason for the decline.
Recent years have seen neutral packaging, reimbursements for people using tobacco substitutes, higher cigarette pricing and campaigns like the national... read more
- 22:13 Man Utd transfer news: Why Cristiano Ronaldo SNUBBED ‘loan option’...
- 22:11 Gene-edited farm animals are on their way
- 22:08 IN PICTURES: Buxton Race for Life 2018
- 22:07 Joe Launchbury backs Danny Cipriani to make a big impact for England
- 22:05 Lotto jackpot hits £17.2 million after nobody wins Wednesday draw
- 22:05 Student to be ‘spared jail’ after killing sister due to...
- 21:55 All East Dunbartonshire schools to shut for strike action
- 21:54 Police release CCTV image to help track missing Carlisle man
- 21:52 Davide Zappacosta in talks with Inter Milan as Chelsea set asking...
- 21:51 Sheffield Council deny monthly black bin collection claims
- 21:45 Celtic news: Leigh Griffiths reacts to Champions League draw
- 21:45 Vicki Sparks: First female commentator for live World Cup match
- 21:43 MP’s praise and support for carers
- 21:38 Boy, 4, who ‘channels the dead’ told teachers his father had drowned
- 21:38 Man, 27, charged with murder of Daniel Fitzjohn in Northampton
- 21:38 David Bowie Aladdin Sane photograph gifted to V&A museum
- 21:37 Appeal after two women racially abused by 'BNP member' on Glasgow...
- 21:36 MP’s praise and support for carers
- 21:34 Man, 27, charged with murder of Daniel Fitzjohn in Northampton
- 21:33 Tammy Beaumont fires England to T20 record in crushing of South Africa
- 21:33 Tony Abbott and allies could scupper national energy plan, warns...
- 21:32 Iran defender fails with flip throw-in during World Cup defeat...
- 21:32 Dad dies while holding his eight-month-old son in his arms after...
- 21:32 US court hears case against Turpin couple suspected of shackling...
- 21:32 England World Cup fans filmed giving Nazi salutes and singing vile...
- 21:31 Aston Villa linked with a move for ex-West Brom ace
- 21:31 Living together but not married? This document could prove essential
- 21:31 Rhys Jones' parents on the "life sentence" they are still serving
- 21:26 World Cup 2018: Iran star Milad Mohammadi attempts bizarre...
- 21:23 Love Island: Adam's 'emotionally abusive behaviour' sparks concern...