One in 10 Primary one pupils 'overweight or obese'
More than one in 10 children have started primary school overweight or obese since 2005, according to a study.
Almost 83,000 four to five-year-olds entered P1 carrying excess weight between 2005-2006 and 2014-2015, Cancer Research UK said.
The charity warned obesity could become a "crippling burden on society and the NHS" if action was not taken.
The Scottish government said it encouraged people to be more active, eat less and eat better.
According to Cancer Research UK's Statistical Information Team, four and five-year-olds in Scotland are also "more likely" to be... read more
- 16:02 Passionate Match.com date ended with plate smashing in Mansfield
- 16:01 Petition to delay indyref2 thrown out by MSPs
- 16:01 Lib Dem leader asks voter to ‘smell my spaniel’
- 16:00 Nottingham Forest and Notts County fans locked up over mass brawl...
- 16:00 Calls for better lighting along canal towpath after reports of...
- 16:00 Alex braves the shave in honour of dad’s tumour battle
- 16:00 The Wolds Diary column with Sue Woodcock
- 16:00 Teen robbed of mobile phone by two men in Northampton
- 16:00 Corby named in UK’s three greatest towns
- 15:59 Overgrown and unsightly: How cuts are affecting Blackpool’s green...
- 15:59 Arsenal want Atletico Madrid star to replace Barcelona-bound Hector...
- 15:59 Chelsea star Eden Hazard's shock transfer plan revealed
- 15:59 Danny Cowley set for 'important conversations' with out-of-contract...
- 15:58 Can fidget spinners really help kids with ADHD? Where you can buy...
- 15:58 Weston Favell shopping centre thanks community for supporting...
- 15:58 Teen robbed of mobile phone by two men in Northampton
- 15:58 Who plays Sean Mercer's mum in Little Boy Blue? What else has...
- 15:58 Multimillion-pound housing improvement scheme gets started
- 15:57 Pair convicted over attempt to con the courts
- 15:56 The Wolds Diary column with Sue Woodcock
- 15:56 Magnetis sees more Brazil investors embracing robo-advisory
- 15:55 Chris Smalling ‘absolutely devastated’ to be missing Manchester...
- 15:55 Nintendo Switch STOCK UPDATE: Mario Kart 8 bundles out now in UK...
- 15:55 General Election: Conservative candidate shortlist revealed for...
- 15:55 Warning to drug users over dangerous heroin mix
- 15:53 ‘What they are doing to him is disgusting’: Former mayor backs the...
- 15:53 Students say ‘wilkommen’ to German penpals
- 15:53 Godiva Festival: More names added to 2017 festival line-up
- 15:52 Police say fired single shot in Berlin hospital, injuring one
- 15:51 Century of bridge repairs completed in £6.7m scheme