One in 10 Primary one pupils 'overweight or obese'
More than one in 10 children have started primary school overweight or obese since 2005, according to a study.
Almost 83,000 four to five-year-olds entered P1 carrying excess weight between 2005-2006 and 2014-2015, Cancer Research UK said.
The charity warned obesity could become a "crippling burden on society and the NHS" if action was not taken.
The Scottish government said it encouraged people to be more active, eat less and eat better.
According to Cancer Research UK's Statistical Information Team, four and five-year-olds in Scotland are also "more likely" to be... read more
- 04:33 UFC News: McGregor criticised by Roach, Diaz talks, Anderson on UFC...
- 04:30 Chinese president makes first ever visit to Hong Kong
- 04:28 Brazilian army opens fire on ‘invader’ after car rams gates of...
- 04:28 Trump ‘will build the wall’ as designs submitted for the disputed...
- 04:22 Nikkei hovers near 2-year highs as tech shares support
- 04:20 Japan May retail sales rise less than expected, growth trend seen...
- 04:18 Golden reunion for this year’s Cropredy Festival
- 04:04 Global coordination important as world economy changes - China vice...
- 03:51 Reliving sitcom classic
- 03:42 Scots economy in 'precarious' position, experts warn
- 03:42 Stalking victim rejects police apology over stabbing
- 03:38 Venezuela crisis: Attorney general banned from leaving country
- 03:35 Radio 1: Why is the station struggling to find new DJs?
- 03:32 UCI Road World Championships 2019: Yorkshire host towns revealed
- 03:32 'My son was circumcised without my consent'
- 03:32 Theresa May to seek backing of MPs for Queen's Speech
- 03:27 U.S. sets criteria for visa applicants from six Muslim countries - AP
- 03:17 France's Engie says to weather LNG oversupply with long-term deals
- 03:16 Trump holds $10m fundraiser at his hotel
- 03:05 Cantonese v Mandarin: When Hong Kong languages get political
- 03:04 Celebration and protest as China president visits Hong Kong
- 03:04 Ransomware cyber-attacks by ‘Russian hackers’ could spark WORLD WAR...
- 02:56 German police officers dismissed for ‘fighting, urinating and...
- 02:51 Alastair Cook and Nick Browne share record first-wicket partnership...
- 02:51 Linfield 1-0 La Fiorita: Jordan Stewart edges Northern Irish...
- 02:51 Former Hibernian boss Alan Stubbs among the candidates for the...
- 02:51 Birmingham appoint Kevin Bond as assistant manager to Harry Redknapp
- 02:51 Former football coach Barry Bennell, 63, appears in court after...
- 02:51 Pedro Caixinha challenges Rangers to defy huge Europa League odds...
- 02:51 England paceman Stuart Broad steps up bid to be fit for first Test...