Once-powerful Philippines Church divided, subdued over drug killings
Catholic priests from the Philippines Church, an institution that helped oust two of the country's leaders in the past, say they are afraid and unsure how to speak out against the war on drugs unleashed by new President Rodrigo Duterte.
In interviews with Reuters, more than a dozen clergymen in Asia's biggest Catholic nation said they were uncertain how to take a stand against the thousands of killings in a war that has such overwhelming popular support. Challenging the president's campaign could be fraught with danger, some said.
Duterte, who had a 76 percent satisfaction rating in a... read more
- 02:05 Forced asset sales by banks destroying farmers' lives, Nationals...
- 02:04 When the going gets tough, the tough get mucky
- 01:50 North Korean propaganda changes its tune
- 01:33 Teens on 9-1 GCSEs: 'Everyone's worried about grade boundaries'
- 01:33 Meet Game of Thrones' woman of weapons
- 01:25 The Aquarius: Migrant taxi service or charitable rescuers?
- 01:23 Tom Richmond: Tories could pay dearly for their attitude to the North
- 01:22 Codebreaking Bombe moves to computer museum
- 01:21 Charity issues plea to parents as holidays end
- 01:21 Renting a way of life in hard-up Britain
- 01:14 The Yorkshire Post says: Brexit crash landing fears. Airbus chief...
- 01:14 David Behrens: NHS needs to push the envelope on methods of...
- 01:14 Sir William Worsley: Trees must be at the heart of our...
- 01:09 Charing Cross evacuated as man on tracks claims to have a bomb
- 01:04 The Yorkshire Post says: Cricket’s new test. How to win over Asian...
- 01:04 The Yorkshire Post says: Grayling no show. Macavity Minister to...
- 01:04 Brexit: Campaigners to demand new vote in London march
- 00:47 Grin and bear it: researcher has no hard feelings for grizzly that...
- 00:47 Supreme court bans police access to phone records without a warrant
- 00:43 Royal Ascot tips: Best bets for Day Five of 2018 festival
- 00:43 Nabil Fekir to plead with Lyon president for Liverpool move despite...
- 00:43 Game of Thrones: Kit Harington and Rose Leslie's wedding is coming
- 00:43 Blue Planet fans 'disturbing coastal wildlife'
- 00:42 Melania Trump visits children’s shelter wearing ‘I don’t care’ jacket
- 00:42 Gangs’ families should lose council homes – Home Office minister
- 00:35 Lincs CCC set to begin championship defence
- 00:30 Win a VIP Lowther Show Experience 2018!
- 00:27 Talking Horses: Growl could give Richard Fahey a Wokingham repeat
- 00:23 AFL results: Round 13 scores, ladder and latest news
- 00:17 Tout rout: stars come out to close down ticket resellers