On this day in 1992 31,000 miners lost their jobs at the stroke of a pen
0 Have your say It has been exactly 24 years since the British coal mining industry was dealt a heavy blow when the government announced the closure of 31 out of 50 deep coal mines across the country.
The closure came after a long and bitter battle between unions, industry leaders and the government which ultimately saw the demise of 31,000 jobs.
The closures were described as a “savage, brutal act of vandalism” by the president of the National Union of Mineworkers, Arthur Scargill, and a “bad decision” by Labour’s trade spokesman, Robin Cook, according to a report at the time by the BBC.... read more
- 17:57 Neymar: Brazil handed HUGE World Cup boost ahead of Costa Rica clash
- 17:57 Chelsea transfer news: Daniele Rugani ‘agrees contract in...
- 17:57 COURT RESULTS: Worksop and Retford
- 17:55 Former Chester FC striker James Akintunde joins Maidenhead United
- 17:55 Donald Trump to meet the Queen during UK visit
- 17:53 Sunderland council agrees to give £6.5m to support £8m children’s...
- 17:53 Cash stolen from Tesco Express in Kenilworth
- 17:53 'The party is over' - police place closure notice on Barrow property
- 17:51 Is Steve Trevor's return in Wonder Woman 2 just another absurd...
- 17:48 Profile: Dr Jane Barton, GP and the Gosport hospital scandal
- 17:48 Health chiefs to make case for further changes to hospital services...
- 17:46 Pride clothing made in countries where being gay is illegal
- 17:46 Health chiefs to make case for further changes to hospital services...
- 17:46 WWII bomb taken to York shop sparks alert
- 17:46 Appeal to find 'silly' 1989 Addenbrooke's cancer nurse Debbie
- 17:46 Woodford student admits killing teenage sister in crash
- 17:45 Ancient 'Saxon road' discovered under Victoria Square in Birmingham...
- 17:45 Yobs steal golf buggy, crash it and cause THOUSANDS of pounds worth...
- 17:45 Burger King sorry for Whopper offer to women who get pregnant by...
- 17:43 Man loves his job so much he got his company logo tattooed on...
- 17:42 How Senegal's coach Aliou Cisse became a meme
- 17:41 Pokemon Go player, 71, ‘beat up man who accused him of cheating’
- 17:40 Private emails show DfT contempt for rail users, says MP
- 17:40 Leading author at World Cup themed event nets great result
- 17:39 Burger King continues quest for Peace Day burger after McWhopper...
- 17:39 BBQs at the ready: Iceland is now selling pigs in blankets kebabs
- 17:38 Dad and daughter's incredible transformation after losing 23 stone...
- 17:36 Donald Trump will meet the Queen during UK visit
- 17:35 Caroline Verdon: Who has time to be a perfect ‘Pinterest mum’?
- 17:35 Leeds rush hour bicycle ride for Clean Air Day