On this day in 1992 31,000 miners lost their jobs at the stroke of a pen
0 Have your say It has been exactly 24 years since the British coal mining industry was dealt a heavy blow when the government announced the closure of 31 out of 50 deep coal mines across the country.
The closure came after a long and bitter battle between unions, industry leaders and the government which ultimately saw the demise of 31,000 jobs.
The closures were described as a “savage, brutal act of vandalism” by the president of the National Union of Mineworkers, Arthur Scargill, and a “bad decision” by Labour’s trade spokesman, Robin Cook, according to a report at the time by the BBC.... read more
- 18:27 Dan Evans: Tennis star admits to cocaine use and positive drugs test
- 18:26 The 'Aggressive Bexiteer': Would I still vote Leave?
- 18:26 Legendary cricket commentator Henry Blofeld calls time on...
- 18:26 Man who asked plain clothes police for 'spare change' handed £235 bill
- 18:24 Rangers won't miss Mike Ashley as he was poisonous at Ibrox - watch...
- 18:24 British tennis star Dan Evans admits he failed drugs test after...
- 18:24 Simon Cowell's Grenfell single tops UK chart
- 18:24 Teen shot on doorstep in drive-by attack on Walton street
- 18:24 Chelsea target James Rodriguez prefers Premier League transfer as...
- 18:23 Three children among five people dead after being electrocuted in...
- 18:23 Tennis star Dan Evans admits he failed drugs test
- 18:23 Dog rescued on Snowdon after skinning its paws on rough terrain
- 18:23 U.S. stocks rise on tech gains, oil rebound
- 18:23 VIDEO: Music to make you smile!
- 18:22 Southampton appoint Mauricio Pellegrino: Claude Puel successor...
- 18:21 Blow for EU as Czech’s REJECT eurozone entry: ‘Just 30% want it’
- 18:21 Tech Tent: Uber at a crossroads
- 18:20 Coroner appeal after man with Newcastle links found dead on Teesside
- 18:20 Bradley Lowery 'so happy' after classmates record charity tribute
- 18:19 Grenfell Tower fire: Simon Cowell charity single knocks Justin...
- 18:19 Tim Sherwood takes aim at Aston Villa's infamous transfer committee
- 18:19 Former Birmingham City captain returns to Blues in coaching role
- 18:19 Josh Harrop reveals why he left Manchester United
- 18:17 Dunstable punter's £1m Ascot bet falls on final furlong
- 18:17 Police find gun after scrambler yobs shoot at home
- 18:16 Teenage girl in critical condition after being hit by car in Leeds...
- 18:16 VIDEO: Everything you need to know about Snapchat's new location...
- 18:16 Sheffield robbery victim, 80, suffers suspected broken leg and wrist
- 18:16 Nine nostalgic images of Chester's former hospitals
- 18:15 Wall St Week Ahead-Oil's drop could leave a stain on earnings