On this day in 1992 31,000 miners lost their jobs at the stroke of a pen
0 Have your say It has been exactly 24 years since the British coal mining industry was dealt a heavy blow when the government announced the closure of 31 out of 50 deep coal mines across the country.
The closure came after a long and bitter battle between unions, industry leaders and the government which ultimately saw the demise of 31,000 jobs.
The closures were described as a “savage, brutal act of vandalism” by the president of the National Union of Mineworkers, Arthur Scargill, and a “bad decision” by Labour’s trade spokesman, Robin Cook, according to a report at the time by the BBC.... read more
- 12:16 Dancers from Skegness school ancers heading for Big Dance Off final
- 12:12 Why there's a statue of a gorilla holding a VW Beetle in Leicester,...
- 12:12 Imprtant police message to Chesterfield parents
- 12:12 Popular restaurant set to relaunch with three-size carvery
- 12:11 Brazen moped gang try to steal BBC Boat Race cameras during rush hour
- 12:11 Great Northern March: Thousands call for end to Brexit in Leeds
- 12:08 Man Utd News: David De Gea's shock rival for best Premier League...
- 12:08 Depraved paedo ring abused young girls in van they called ‘shag wagon’
- 12:07 Man dies after being hit by car outside Turf Moor
- 12:06 Banbury Guardian couple celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
- 12:04 Pyjama party raises money and awareness of autism
- 12:03 Easter holidays 2018: 15 fun things to do with the kids in London...
- 12:02 Pupils say emotional farewell popular dinner lady Cath
- 12:00 Time for the annual show of flowers
- 12:00 Scope volunteer scoops national award
- 11:59 British watchdog assessing evidence from Cambridge Analytica raid
- 11:59 Charity car washes in Derbyshire to help firefighter given just...
- 11:58 Barclays in Bourne to close due to ‘lack of use’
- 11:58 Stamford choristers win prestigious award
- 11:58 Oakham photographer snaps up award for his work
- 11:54 Ofsted rates Harby Pre-School as ‘Good’
- 11:54 Declan Donnelly's joke Holly Willoughby would replace Ant McPartlin...
- 11:50 Leicester music venue Dryden Street Social under threat from £42m...
- 11:49 Charity car washes in Derbyshire to help firefighter given just...
- 11:49 Prostate cancer patients will benefit from a new radiotherapy trial...
- 11:47 Charity car washes in Derbyshire to help firefighter given just...
- 11:45 Apple wants to introduce new emojis for disabled people
- 11:45 Man Utd identify Paul Pogba replacement: Jose Mourinho 'willing to...
- 11:45 From snowboarding to cheese eating, can you tick off the ultimate...
- 11:44 Updated Mazda 6 unveiled