On this day in 1992, 31,000 miners lost their jobs at the stroke of a pen
0 Have your say It has been exactly 24 years since the British coal mining industry was dealt a heavy blow when the Government announced the closure of 31 out of 50 deep coal mines across the country.
The closure came after a long and bitter battle between unions, industry leaders and the Government which ultimately saw the demise of 31,000 jobs.
The closures were described as a "savage, brutal act of vandalism" by the president of the National Union of Mineworkers, Arthur Scargill, and a “bad decision” by Labour’s trade spokesman, Robin Cook, according to a report at the time by... read more
- 08:28 Former NFUS treasurer George Lawrie joins Hutton board
- 08:28 Radio 1 Big Weekend: All you need to know as biggest music festival...
- 08:28 Lads’ night out! Lingard and Rashford snapped partying in...
- 08:28 Real sense of injustice for Dundee United after wrong red card and...
- 08:28 Manchester terror attack: Major fundraising appeal for family of...
- 08:27 Philipe Coutinho to Barcelona: Liverpool star urged to join Neymar...
- 08:27 Police probing Manchester bombing raid St Helens property: updates
- 08:26 Halifax gunman jailed after innocent victims shot in the head...
- 08:26 Drugged-up robber jailed for Halifax attack on terrified schoolboy
- 08:26 Your guide to Bank Holiday opening times for Calderdale pharmacies
- 08:26 Hit-and-run biker injured seven-year-old girl in Bradford
- 08:25 Get your gladrags on, Whitby’s White Lily Ball is coming!
- 08:25 WIN a three-course meal for two at top Whitby restaurant
- 08:25 Restaurant Group reports slip in sales
- 08:25 Colonel Kemp backs controversial deportation proposal: 'What's the...
- 08:24 Handing over the handlebars at cycle shop
- 08:24 Latest court reports from Kirklees Magistrates
- 08:24 Chief executive to leave Northumberland County Council
- 08:24 Burnley chairman Mike Garlick admits his club faces a battle to...
- 08:23 Council takes steps to get coach drivers using new facility
- 08:23 Town councillor criticises mayor for ditching civic party
- 08:23 Up to 5,000 troops ready to deploy as UK remains on 'critical'...
- 08:23 Paxton House set to celebrate anniversary
- 08:23 Tories' lead over Labour narrows in first poll since Manchester...
- 08:23 Sheffield hit-and-run driver in 'dark car' sought after knocking...
- 08:23 Go Outdoors to hold family fun day
- 08:23 China stocks end week higher, state-led buying offsets Moody's...
- 08:23 Road closed in Tutbury due to an accident involving one car
- 08:22 Engelbert Humperdinck new LP riding high in album charts
- 08:22 Michael Watson: Time to invest in making society better