Oldest Ten Commandments carving auctioned for $850,000 in US
The world's earliest-known stone carving of the Ten Commandments has sold in a US auction for $850,000 (£680,000).
The marble slab, which is just over 60cm (24in) high, is inscribed in an early Hebrew script called Samaritan.
It only includes nine of the original Biblical commandments; the 10th is a local Samaritan rule.
It was sold at a Los Angeles auction house on condition that it will be displayed in a public museum.
The carving was discovered in 1913 during the excavation for a railway line near the city of Yavneh, an historical Jewish centre of learning, now in present-day Israel.
The... read more
- 20:12 Is Britannia the new Game of Thrones? Amena actress Annabel Scholey...
- 20:11 Bitcoin to crash AGAIN? EU set to create new regulations that could...
- 20:10 France scraps controversial Nantes airport proposal
- 20:10 US shutdown looms amid immigration feud
- 20:10 MPs approve European Union Withdrawal Bill
- 20:08 Donald Trump ATTACKS Russia for ‘DENTING’ progress with North Korea...
- 20:07 Andy Carroll hoping Chelsea will move for £20million transfer so as...
- 20:06 Bordon Hill housing plan rejected
- 20:02 Nigeria gunmen kidnap two US and two Canadian citizens
- 20:02 Antonio Conte explains why he benched Eden Hazard, Alvaro Morata...
- 19:58 Emmerdale spoilers: Moira Barton risks nip-slip after sleeping with...
- 19:57 USA Gymnastics ‘won’t fine McKayla Maroney’ for revealing sexual...
- 19:56 Whisky distilleries on the rise south of Scottish border
- 19:56 Meghan Markle gets an apron as first official Royal gift
- 19:56 ‘Historic milestone’ hailed as MPs vote through Brexit Withdrawal Bill
- 19:56 Aubameyang to Arsenal: Moreno makes positive claim over January deal
- 19:56 Jose Mourinho ambushed outside Lowry Hotel in prank involving...
- 19:56 Henrikh Mkhitaryan: What Jose Mourinho thinks about Man Utd star as...
- 19:55 Fortnite patch notes LIVE: New map news confirmed for PS4 and Xbox One
- 19:55 California family torture case EXPLAINED: What has happened so far?
- 19:53 Apple to pay $38bn on foreign cash pile
- 19:51 Millie Bobby Brown is all grown up and reportedly ‘dating singer...
- 19:48 Car parking charges thrown out
- 19:47 Cumbria's MPs speak of 'utterly appalling' baby Poppi case
- 19:44 The fake Sainsbury's vouchers scam you need to know about
- 19:43 M1 crash: One lane closed northbound near Derby
- 19:42 Cumbria's MPs speak of 'utterly appalling' baby Poppi case
- 19:41 Boy makes miraculous recovery after diesel can explodes in his face
- 19:37 Richarlison to Chelsea or Arsenal update: Summer exit from Watford...
- 19:34 Someone stole 1,000 tins of spaghetti hoops from a food bank