Older drivers should be retested says coroner following death of pedestrian
A call for the law on elderly motorists to be tightened up has been made following an inquest into the death of a woman.
Plymouth coroner Deborah Archer, ruling over the case of a fatal collision this week, called for action from the DVLA and said: "It is the best I can do to try to make sure some good comes out of this terrible incident."
Ms Archer has pledged to use her powers to call for a review of the policy of people 'self-reporting' medical issues to the DVLA, and said there should be regular mandatory testing of drivers aged over 80.
The message came after an inquest in to... read more
- 10:42 'I’m scared to go outside after dark' - Residents speak after man...
- 10:42 Charity worker aims for record race in Two Castles Run
- 10:41 Hits of Adele to be recreated on the Lichfield Garrick stage
- 10:40 Katie flying flag for Corby in Miss Teen Galaxy finals
- 10:39 Ozell Pemberton murder: Second arrest after teen fatally stabbed in...
- 10:36 Josh Warrington takes IBF title from Lee Selby after pulsating...
- 10:36 Besiktas boss confirms Anderson Talisca's exit is imminent amid...
- 10:36 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho plots to rival Barcelona to sign ‘the...
- 10:33 Cuba plane crash company had ‘serious complaints’ before air...
- 10:32 Scots ‘increasingly likely’ to report suspected trafficking to police
- 10:29 Teen driver 'seriously ill' after Northallerton crash
- 10:29 Service for bereaved parents and families to take place at the...
- 10:28 Former Burton Sea Cadet commanding officer Trevor Brunce was always...
- 10:25 Real Madrid star Sergio Ramos reveals plan to stop Liverpool duo in...
- 10:25 Rangers boss Steven Gerrard to battle Aston Villa and Leeds for...
- 10:25 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho ready to cough up £35m for La Liga star
- 10:24 Unattended food sparks Lake District flat fire
- 10:23 England v Pakistan can be the healthy distraction the ECB so craves
- 10:19 Alice Rawsthorn’s cultural highlights
- 10:18 Terror attack survivors urge public to fight terrorism
- 10:17 Police search rightful owner of stolen generator
- 10:14 UKIP 'should fold' if Brexit done right, says ex-Welsh leader
- 10:14 Fire service saves 516 pets
- 10:13 Out of control bonfire in Ilkeston
- 10:12 Electoral body rejects claim by Vote Leave that it allowed donations
- 10:12 Boris Johnson escapes Brexit troubles to feed manatees in Peru
- 10:12 Of course someone’s turned the Yanny vs Laurel debate into eyebrow art
- 10:11 First pictures from scene of 'liquid' attack near Leicester Royal...
- 10:10 Helena Christensen: ‘When I’m on trips I listen to recordings of my...
- 10:10 Look what came in the post: the rise of subscription shopping