Old Odeon to be demolished: Why is Newcastle's city centre landmark being torn down?
A once thriving cinema is being torn down as part of an ambitious plan to redesign part of the city centre.
The former Odeon building on Pilgrim Street, Newcastle, is central to proposals to make that area of town a retail hub.
On Monday, Newcastle City Council received a demolition notice from Bilfinger GVA, on behalf of its client Motcomb Estates Ltd.
It means plans to pull down the iconic landmark - which has stood in the city for decades - are gathering pace.
Here, we run through the key things you need to know.
Why is it being knocked down? The cinema last showed a film in 2002 and has... read more
- 09:15 Gianluigi Donnarumma to Liverpool: ‘£35m plus player’ bid lined up...
- 09:15 Unai Emery: New Arsenal manager branded Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho...
- 09:12 Lane blockage and double lorry smash on motorway
- 09:12 Trekkers have a mountain to climb to help children's hospice charity
- 09:12 Home affairs boss accused of 'cover up' in Peter Dutton au pair case
- 09:11 Body found in search for missing Doncaster man
- 09:10 St Mary’s Church hosting children’s workshop during Warwick Festival
- 09:10 Why is the bee a symbol of Manchester?
- 09:10 Departing Kenilworth mayor presents cheques to charities
- 09:09 Harry Kane confirmed as England’s captain for the World Cup
- 09:08 Tesco to remove 'confusing' best-before labels from fruit and...
- 09:07 Princess Beatrice looks surprised among floral-printed bouncers
- 09:07 Peaky Blinders writer reveals the Birmingham City star he'd most...
- 09:07 Where you’re from will determine what university course you’re...
- 09:07 Tollbar CEO: ‘East Lindsey should congratulate us for investing in...
- 09:07 Liverpool news: Daniel Sturridge responds to reported fall out with...
- 09:07 Shares jump on report China could scrap birth limits
- 09:05 Louth CC: First XI beaten at Woodhall Spa
- 09:04 Police hunt driver after 'hit-and-run' in Preston
- 09:04 Government wants to open mystery fund set up in 1928 to help tackle...
- 09:04 WATCH: Rio Ferdinand says England have 'no chance' of winning the...
- 09:04 Ducks filmed waiting at traffic lights for man to turn green
- 09:03 FTSE LIVE: Shares push on to another record high as positive Spring...
- 09:02 'Devastated' fans reaction over Car Share finale shocked Peter Kay
- 09:00 Rail passengers hit out at Northern after more than 50 refused...
- 08:59 This is why Tesco is scrapping best before dates on fresh food
- 08:59 Tesco to remove 'confusing' best-before labels from fruit and...
- 08:59 Ariana Grande shares heartfelt message one year on from Manchester...
- 08:59 Drug addicts in Scotland 'waiting up to six months' for treatment
- 08:59 Malaria genetics: study shows how disease became deadly