Oil shares bolster FTSE after Opec deal
Shares in oil companies continued to rise in the wake of the decision by oil producers group Opec to cut production.
BP shares rose 3.2% while Royal Dutch Shell was up by about 2.5%, adding to gains seen on Wednesday when Opec said it had agreed a cut of 1.2 million barrels a day from January.
This sparked a 10% jump in oil prices, and Brent crude was up a further 0.2% on Thursday at $51.96 a barrel.
The FTSE 100 was down 1.41 points at 6,782.38 in early trade.
Shares in Daily Mail and General Trust rose 7% after it reported a 14% increase in full-year profits to £247m, with revenues up 4%... read more
- 19:45 Brazil meat scandal: China and others lift ban
- 19:45 BBC Breakfast presenters forced to intervene as baby bursts into...
- 19:39 After Stockport County loss, Morrell admits: 'We need some crazy...
- 19:37 LOTTO RESULTS: Winning National Lottery numbers for Saturday March...
- 19:36 Sylhet blasts kill four amid Bangladesh militant raid
- 19:35 Congo bloodbath as 42 cops beheaded after being ambushed by militias
- 19:35 Future of ferry remains all at sea
- 19:32 Last-gasp Sam Jones try puts RGC into WRU National Cup Final
- 19:31 FBI and NSA experts warn: US has to learn from UK and MUST counter...
- 19:30 Iran denies harassing U.S. warships in Gulf, warns of clashes
- 19:30 Manchester United tickets: A complete guide on how to attend the...
- 19:25 Ten arrested during Edinburgh fascist rally
- 19:21 Former Anfield favourite makes Philippe Coutinho prediction:...
- 19:21 Stockport County 2 Tamworth 1 : Former Lamb Lloyd haunts his old club
- 19:18 Death of Khyra Ishaq - recommendations from the Serious Case Review
- 19:15 Strictly Come Dancing comes to Burton as Russell Roof Tiles raise...
- 19:10 Grimsby Town striker Scott Vernon out for two weeks after head...
- 19:08 Eden Hazard informs friends he’s staying at Chelsea next season
- 19:08 Chelsea hold talks with Bundesliga club over striker transfer
- 19:07 Mark Robins faces nervous wait on Kwame Thomas and Jordan Willis...
- 19:06 Brilliant Town put dent in Banbury’s play-off hopes
- 19:06 Jockey Jacob seals winning double at Stratford
- 19:06 When do the clocks go forward in 2017?
- 19:06 The ECHO takes a look at the history of the EMR site following last...
- 19:06 Streets of hope: Granby's good news story keeps evolving
- 19:01 Chelsea's Dominic Solanke subject of interest from RB Leipzig as...
- 18:58 Last-gasp heartbreak for Gainsborough Trinity as Pilgrims and...
- 18:58 Lithuania boss Edgaras Jankauskas eyes England shock: 'Iceland...
- 18:57 Brigg Road closed after accident
- 18:52 How your bank balance could be better or worse off from April 1