Oil shares bolster FTSE after Opec deal
Shares in oil companies continued to rise in the wake of the decision by oil producers group Opec to cut production.
BP shares rose 3.2% while Royal Dutch Shell was up by about 2.5%, adding to gains seen on Wednesday when Opec said it had agreed a cut of 1.2 million barrels a day from January.
This sparked a 10% jump in oil prices, and Brent crude was up a further 0.2% on Thursday at $51.96 a barrel.
The FTSE 100 was down 1.41 points at 6,782.38 in early trade.
Shares in Daily Mail and General Trust rose 7% after it reported a 14% increase in full-year profits to £247m, with revenues up 4%... read more
- 17:16 French jobless total rises marginally in January
- 17:16 SMTV: 7 things that MUST be in the anniversary special
- 17:15 Keith Wyness LIVE: Aston Villa CEO answers questions from supporters
- 17:15 Birmingham mum who killed her daughter allowed out into community
- 17:15 Warning as EXPLODING e-cigarette destroys bedroom at Black Country...
- 17:15 This Comic Relief trampoline sleepover is coming to Birmingham
- 17:15 See the dramatic moment a dog is rescued from sinkhole by firefighters
- 17:14 Jose Mourinho reacts to Manchester United Europa League draw with...
- 17:14 Lincolnshire pub given the 'all-clear' following rat claims
- 17:14 Boss praises firemen for saving his business from serious fire
- 17:14 Crunch! Watch as police seize and crush uninsured criminal's car
- 17:13 Air Cadets call for new members to join
- 17:12 Olathe shooting: India shocked after national killed in US
- 17:12 Should 'catfishing' be made illegal?
- 17:11 INTERVIEW: John Shuttleworth
- 17:11 Lincolnshire County Councillors agree to public consultation on...
- 17:11 How the brush strokes used by Van Gogh and Seurat were pioneered...
- 17:10 Mourinho on Rooney's decision to stay at Manchester United
- 17:10 RGC must continue to learn lessons says coach Phil John
- 17:10 Running advice from a professional: Olympic champion Desiree Henry
- 17:10 Europa League team of the week: Which Manchester United star made...
- 17:10 Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson engage in epic back and forth...
- 17:10 Jurgen Klopp reveals injury to Liverpool star in training: Two...
- 17:10 Andy Hinchcliffe predicts Championship promotion race: These four...
- 17:10 Chelsea plot Serie A raid: Blues keen on Lazio star, £21m fee...
- 17:09 Penrith man admits child porn crimes
- 17:09 Team news, predictions and key battles ahead of Grimsby Town's...
- 17:08 Images released after shop thefts totalling over £2,000
- 17:08 Perfect storm as Wetherby residents object to green belt plans
- 17:08 Campaign to name Harrogate bypass after legendary historic figure