Oil price lifted by Russia backing Opec production freeze
Russia has said it will support a proposal by Opec to freeze oil production in order to reverse the slump in global prices.
The move lifted the price of oil, with Brent crude hitting a one-year high.
"Russia is ready to accede to joint measures to reduce [oil] production, and is calling on other oil exporters to do so," said Russian President Vladimir Putin.
"We support the recent Opec initiative to set production limits," he added.
In late afternoon Brent Crude oil was trading at $53.21 a barrel, up by 2.5%.
Speaking at the World Energy Congress in Istanbul, Mr Putin... read more
- 11:58 University ‘tech’ team is officially best in the world
- 11:58 Coastguard called to reports of trio swept out to sea
- 11:58 Support stars sign up for Will Smith festival fun
- 11:58 Check out the rubbish left behind by travellers at Oakwood
- 11:58 Probe begins into flats fire
- 11:57 Student champions sports week
- 11:56 Viewers applaud Milly Dowler’s ‘brave’ sister as she releases this...
- 11:56 'Broadchurch' beach: West Bay cliff fall blocks coast path
- 11:56 Barcelona announce friendly with Chapecoense… eight months after...
- 11:56 Grenfell public inquiry: What is a public inquiry and what happens...
- 11:56 Police probing Black E brawl ask 'do you know these men'
- 11:56 Arsenal consider move for Leicester ace Riyad Mahrez after...
- 11:56 Lions team v New Zealand: Jonny Wilkinson assesses Warren Gatland’s...
- 11:56 Bogus callers claimed to be police officers and a window cleaner in...
- 11:55 NEW island emerges in same waters as Bermuda Triangle - but...
- 11:54 Funding celebrations for Maltings theatre
- 11:54 Dugdale leads tributes to Labour council stalwart
- 11:54 Police ask people who have used three firms to contact them after...
- 11:54 Peter Rabbit sculpture returns to Snugburys Ice Cream in Nantwich
- 11:54 Heartbreaking picture of boy in dad’s arms moments before he died...
- 11:54 Bridge over Coast Road to be demolished this weekend
- 11:53 Horncastle woman pleads not guilty to child abduction
- 11:53 SE Asia Stocks-Most rise; Singapore hits over one-month closing high
- 11:53 Russian military hits back over Fallon's jibe
- 11:53 New CET boss to 'double the size of the business'
- 11:52 Bodybuilder who claimed compensation over holiday food poisoning...
- 11:52 Concern over £5.5 billion contract to provide NHS services in the...
- 11:52 Jose Mourinho's transfer policy hints at his long-term plans at...
- 11:51 Liverpool and Tottenham contact Monaco about Thomas Lemar deal
- 11:51 Trainspotting director and Olympics artistic director Danny Boyle...