Obituary: Andrew Sachs
The long and varied career of Andrew Sachs was defined by the TV comedy Fawlty Towers.
His performance as the well-meaning but inept Spanish waiter Manuel was one of the highlights of the series.
In a state of constant confusion, and with a tenuous grasp of English syntax, he was invariably the target of Basil's rages.
But it was just one role in seven decades of acting that spanned comedy, classical and dramatic roles.
He was born Andreas Siegfried Sachs on 7 April 1930 in Berlin. His insurance broker father was Jewish while his mother, who worked as a librarian, was a Catholic of... read more
- 13:42 Ryanair BEGS pilots to join airline with 20 per cent pay rise and...
- 13:42 Nativity! The Musical set for world premiere - but it's in...
- 13:41 Serena Williams may not play Australian Open, Maria Sharapova can...
- 13:40 Festival No 6 reveals first headline act for 2018
- 13:39 Jim White breaks his Celtic scarf vow and fans aren't happy about it
- 13:39 Hollywood stars descend on Ellesmere Port for new movie
- 13:38 North Lincolnshire health chief set to step down
- 13:38 Cathedral organist to end concert season
- 13:38 Sparks will fly!
- 13:38 City boxer jailed over break ins at home of ex and her new partner
- 13:38 Buxton mountain rescue stalwarts honoured for long service
- 13:37 Gazza, Coutinho and Lukaku - 10 huge names Aston Villa tried to sign
- 13:37 Meet more of Liverpool's hairiest babies
- 13:37 Coleen Rooney goes on holiday number seven - 'without Wayne'
- 13:37 Woman found dead at house in Kirkby - updates
- 13:37 Meet the medic starring in new series of hit BBC TV show Junior...
- 13:36 Game of Thrones star Kit Harington proud to claim Gunpowder drama...
- 13:36 Hare coursers sighted in South Holland
- 13:35 Watch spectacular shooting stars as Earth passes through Halley's...
- 13:35 Chelsea news: Cesar Azpilicueta reveals Blues’ morale is at rock...
- 13:35 Real Madrid news: Karim Benzema’s agent issues Arsenal transfer...
- 13:34 Sheffield property that became magnet for trouble closed down
- 13:34 Could pole dancing soon become an Olympic sport?
- 13:34 Winds of 70mph predicted as Storm Brian expected to sweep in this...
- 13:33 What happens when we die? Study says we might still know what's...
- 13:33 Flying Scotsman investigation at Nene Valley Railway
- 13:33 Employment gap closes in on East Midlands
- 13:33 Norovirus sufferers 'should avoid preparing food for two days'
- 13:33 Police hunt for vehicle used in three Notts crimes
- 13:32 Heading for the heights at Kirkby on Bain school