Obesity risk: Experts reveal people are 'genetically wired' to prefer fatty food
Cambridge University scientists made the discovery after testing volunteers with large helpings of chicken korma and an Eton mess desert.
Some of the meals were high in fat while others were low fat versions.
Experts included participants who were overweight because of a defect in a gene called MC4R, as well as lean participants and others who were overweight but did not have the gene variant.
The study found carriers of the gene ate almost double the amount of high fat korma than their lean counterparts.
They also ate 65 per cent more than the obese group as a whole.
When it came to the... read more
- 12:14 Turns out Liverpool ARE playing in the Champions League
- 12:13 Derbyshire police investigates reports of historic child abuse in...
- 12:13 Ironville and Codnor Park Primary School is 'inadequate'
- 12:13 Shop hopes to win licence by not selling super-strength alcohol
- 12:12 Man Utd Transfer News: Shock double Everton swoop, £60m Real raid,...
- 12:10 Derbyshire police investigates reports of historic child abuse in...
- 12:10 Teen’s tragic death is stark reminder on why not to drink or drug...
- 12:08 Award winning band set to play in East Lancashire
- 12:07 Two-car collision causing delays on the A38
- 12:07 Halloween boosts profits for Alton Towers owner
- 12:07 Mum campaigns for traffic lights outside North Wingfield primary
- 12:06 Donation made to food bank is a timely boost before Christmas
- 12:06 Grantham Journal letter: Centre has failed spectacularly
- 12:04 Matt Palmer wants to back up stunning first goal of the season for...
- 12:04 Bournemouth vs Liverpool LIVE: Adam Lallana and Roberto Firmino...
- 12:03 Fire at large Derbyshire building
- 12:03 Police cordon and forensics outside Nottingham's Pryzm nightclub
- 12:00 Bluebell Hospice needs you!
- 11:58 River Trent search after person goes overboard from vessel
- 11:56 Euan McColm: Dublin love-in keeps indyref2 hopes alive
- 11:56 Alcoholic family from Stoke-on-Trent costs taxpayers more than £1...
- 11:56 Cost of new footbridge between Aslackby and Graby branded ‘madness’
- 11:56 CCTV image released by police investigating graffiti incident at...
- 11:55 Charity can help with mediation after couples separate
- 11:53 Demetrious Johnson survives scare to defend flyweight title against...
- 11:53 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang admits he doesn't know if he will be...
- 11:53 We survived 'Arsenovember'... Mesut Ozil expresses delight as...
- 11:53 Manchester United star Paul Pogba claims he always knew he would...
- 11:53 Sergio Aguero appears to taunt Gary Cahill after his calamitous own...
- 11:52 What are the odds of a white Christmas in Lincolnshire?