Obese children ‘more likely to struggle at school’
0 Have your say Britain’s obesity epidemic is damaging children’s intelligence, suggests new research.
The study found youngsters with high blood pressure are more likely to struggle at school because the condition reduces brainpower.
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, was once mainly seen just in adults.
But now the condition also affects one in 20 children thanks to bad diets, excess weight and not enough exercise.
One in three children is overweight or obese by the time they leave primary school in the UK.
High blood pressure has previously been linked with a decline in an... read more
- 07:12 I hope that common sense will prevail
- 07:11 This historic city centre building could be soon revamped into a hotel
- 07:11 Hull Live Breaking news, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 07:11 Charity status for society means conservation of village windmill...
- 07:09 Live updates as fire and oil spill closes lanes on M1
- 07:08 Anglers fear permit price hike will hit habitat creation
- 07:07 Fallen tree causing heavy traffic on A38 near Derby
- 07:05 Lawyer who took off her hijab in protest goes missing in Iran
- 07:03 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 07:02 Best park
- 07:01 What to eat when you can’t stand tofu this Veganuary
- 07:01 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to Arsenal: Deal hinges on Olivier...
- 07:00 Men arrested over theft of parking meter in Doncaster
- 07:00 Blackpool's Lucy Fallon wins at National Television Awards
- 07:00 Heartbroken mum of missing Michael Brooks makes desperate appeal
- 06:58 Millennials spend 10 hours a week swiping their way through...
- 06:57 M1 traffic: Lorry fire and oil spillage causing long delays near...
- 06:57 Tennys Sandgren hits out at alt-right movement reports after...
- 06:56 Simona Halep sets up Angelique Kerber semi-final after cruising...
- 06:56 More support would be just the business
- 06:56 Britons ‘to live longer but suffer more diseases’
- 06:56 Sunderland teachers take 3,800 days off due to stress
- 06:56 Sunderland researchers urged Metro passengers to step out for fitness
- 06:56 Talks continue in bid to restart work on Sunderland’s Vaux site
- 06:56 Men arrested over theft of parking meter in Doncaster
- 06:55 Mkhitaryan: Ian Wright aims dig at Man Utd boss by naming two other...
- 06:54 Jason Momoa dresses up for lunch with Lisa Bonet as he reveals Game...
- 06:52 Choir in Bury appeals for new singers ahead of performances
- 06:52 Looking Back: Work continues on ring-road despite snow delays
- 06:52 The Derby High School host grand opening of brand new science lab