Obama says protectionism no answer to inequalities of globalization
America must work with all nations to build stronger economies, recognizing the inequalities that globalization can generate but refusing to give in to protectionism, U.S. President Barack Obama wrote in the Economist on Thursday.
Months before he leaves the White House in January, Obama wrote that a certain anxiety over globalization had taken hold in the United States, not unlike the discontent leading to Britain's vote in June to leave the European Union.
"The world is more prosperous than ever before and yet our societies are marked by uncertainty and unease," the Democratic... read more
- 12:14 It’s an unfolding miracle for Dakota
- 12:13 Winter restoration projects at historic Cumbrian hall are nearing...
- 12:13 Super-agent Jorge Mendes in talks with Chelsea over Diego Costa...
- 12:11 British woman’s five-year prison sentence on ‘secret...
- 12:11 Hat-trick of venues in the running for wedding award
- 12:11 Care home is rated as good after recent CQC inspection
- 12:11 Foul-mouthed woman assaulted hospital receptionist after bust-up...
- 12:10 Wrexham AFC fans left to wonder what might have been
- 12:09 2017 property crash would see £399 a week wiped off UK property values
- 12:08 ‘We need volunteers’: Burgh-le-Marsh Carnival is back
- 12:08 East Midlands Air Ambulance in demand
- 12:08 One in 13 has Type 2 diabetes, new figures show
- 12:08 New football academy will offer practical training and study in Oakham
- 12:08 Museum is back in business for 2017
- 12:07 MK Dons 5 Northampton Town 3 – match review, player ratings and...
- 12:07 Ministers covered up failed Trident test before crucial vote
- 12:05 Heydour Parish Hall hosts ’20s era jazz quintet
- 12:04 Jack Wilshere says Wayne Rooney is the best he’s played with and...
- 12:02 Police believe missing man could be in Cumbria
- 12:01 Hall ready to embark on revenge mission
- 12:01 Hugill hails PNE's character after firing them to Aston Villa point
- 12:01 Chorley 2, Altrincham 0
- 12:00 Indonesian authorities detain 17 nationals returning from Syria
- 12:00 Syrian army and allies take village from Islamic State
- 11:59 George Michael’s ex claims a sex drug addiction may have led to...
- 11:59 'Lightbulb' moment for Lindley Clock Tower 115 years after it was...
- 11:59 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is fed up with Reds goal trait
- 11:55 Aston Villa transfer rumour: Steve Bruce eyes Premier League swap...
- 11:55 Police investigating Perry Barr 'shooting' after reports of gunfire
- 11:55 Jonathan Kodjia has this message for Aston Villa fans after Preston...