Number of people using NHS services to quit smoking down as use of e-cigarettes rises
FEWER people are using NHS services in an attempt to quit smoking amid a rise in e-cigarette use, new figures show.
There were 64,736 attempts to give up smoking made with the help of cessation services in 2015/16, down 5% from 67,935 the previous year.
The uptake is about 7% of the estimated 932,000 adult smokers in Scotland, with 24% smoke-free after one month, according to carbon monoxide testing.
Top news stories today Rangers fan killed in crash due to marry Craig Whyte trial needs extra time Son's action as mum dies from asbestos Golfer accused of taking gun to course 1 of 4 The... read more
- 00:25 Newcastle legend Alan Shearer undergoes dementia tests to assess...
- 00:25 Cheryl confirms pregnancy rumours as she cradles baby bump for...
- 00:25 China Stocks-Factors to watch on Thursday
- 00:24 Juventus midfielder Sami Khedira confident club can end 21-year...
- 00:22 Top banks' commodities revenue drops 7 percent in 2016 - survey
- 00:22 'Magical thinking' on Heathrow expansion
- 00:21 City news: Unilever, Serco, BAE Systems and Hotel Chocolat
- 00:21 Wedding Jewelry by Victoria James
- 00:21 WWE Live 2017 at Genting Arena will see Midlands wrestling stars...
- 00:20 Leeds and Sheffield universities to benefit from £126m...
- 00:18 'Room for improvement' in rail safety, 10 years on from Grayrigg
- 00:17 One fifth of UK shoppers fear Brexit may impact spending - PwC survey
- 00:17 How Peter Thiel’s company Palantir was built with CIA funding and...
- 00:17 Chimps DON'T follow the leader: Researchers find they are more...
- 00:17 Mundell: Tax rise will drive away immigration from Scotland
- 00:17 Tories back plans for new nuclear power plants in Scotland
- 00:12 Do YOU know who your rivals in the office are? Experts find most of...
- 00:12 Google taking on Uber with 'carpool' service using its Waze app
- 00:12 Hackers can steal your information simply by analyzing the LED...
- 00:12 On the 20th anniversary of Dolly's birth, researchers reveal they...
- 00:11 Banks' bond trading up in 2016 for first time since 2012 after...
- 00:06 All-important antidote to mindless Hollywood pulp
- 00:06 Time to mothball divas’ swansong opera
- 00:07 Paige Doherty's family start #NoJusticeForPaige campaign and call...
- 00:06 The veins Nafta opened in Mexico
- 00:06 Hamilton rallies against ‘outdated’ Formula One
- 00:06 Gymnastics doc accused of sex crimes
- 00:06 Laidlaw out: A massive loss
- 00:06 Tata must honour its pledge to steel workers
- 00:06 A man at the heart of battles that shaped countless lives