Number of drunk drivers involved in accidents is up for first time in decade
The number of motorists involved in accidents who subsequently failed a drink-drive breath test has risen for the first time in 10 years.
Some 3,450 drivers were found to have failed the test in 2015 - up from 3,227 in 2014.
Department for Transport (DfT) records show the number had previously fallen every year from a high of 6,397 in 2005.
Lucy Amos, a spokeswoman for road safety charity Brake, said: "It's disappointing to see this increase in the number of drivers failing the breath test when behind the wheel.
"Any amount of alcohol, even amounts below our current drink-drive... read more
- 13:05 Council announces £900,000 blitz on South Kesteven ‘grot spots’
- 13:05 Moretonville Junior Football Club named best in the South of England
- 13:05 Wolston fraudster jailed after fleecing pensioner out of more than...
- 13:04 CCTV image released of man police would like to identify after...
- 13:04 Mayor urges people to get behind Liverpool Commonwealth Games bid
- 13:04 Missing man appeal made by police
- 13:03 Sheffield named 'banter capital of Britain'
- 13:03 Power cut hits over 1,000 Whitehaven properties
- 13:03 LETTER: Brexit - no half way house
- 13:03 Hotpoint urges people with same fridge-freezer model that started...
- 13:03 POLICE UPDATE: 'Suspicious' incident at Biddulph's Woodhouse...
- 13:03 Young woman fights for life after being hit by car near Leeds
- 13:03 Baby panda charms Japan
- 13:03 Policing in West Yorkshire: Why we can’t stop watching the detectives
- 13:03 Drugs police raid Lytham home
- 13:03 WHAT’S ON: Armed Forces Day Blackpool events and offers
- 13:02 ECB's Draghi tells EU leaders expects economy, wages to grow
- 13:02 Sheffield named 'banter capital of Britain'
- 13:02 Online concern over Chinese 'human embroidery' trend
- 13:01 Manchester United clear favourites to sign Chelsea star Nemanja...
- 13:01 Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor tickets have not gone on sale -...
- 13:01 Championship Transfer News: Leeds done deal, Terry to Aston Villa...
- 13:00 Hotpoint fridge-freezer identified as cause of Grenfell Tower fire
- 12:59 Arsene Wenger ready to sell Arsenal star Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to...
- 12:59 Tick helping Rainbows off your bucket list
- 12:59 This is why you may have seen a police escort through Sheffield...
- 12:58 Why have our cars suddenly been covered in dust?
- 12:57 Large traveller group who "broke into land" in Anfield to be moved...
- 12:57 Fun, games - and butties!
- 12:57 TEN shootings in 23 days as gun thugs cause misery across Merseyside