Number of drunk drivers involved in accidents is up for first time in decade
The number of motorists involved in accidents who subsequently failed a drink-drive breath test has risen for the first time in 10 years.
Some 3,450 drivers were found to have failed the test in 2015 - up from 3,227 in 2014.
Department for Transport (DfT) records show the number had previously fallen every year from a high of 6,397 in 2005.
Lucy Amos, a spokeswoman for road safety charity Brake, said: "It's disappointing to see this increase in the number of drivers failing the breath test when behind the wheel.
"Any amount of alcohol, even amounts below our current drink-drive... read more
- 13:35 Charlie Gard's parents urge judges to reverse court decision
- 13:35 Manchester attack: Homeless man rushes to help, cradles dying woman...
- 13:35 Floyd Mayweather believes Conor McGregor fight is a contest fans...
- 13:35 Manchester attack: Take That cancel concert 'out of respect'
- 13:35 Chelsea confirm transfer deal: Ace will be at Stamford Bridge next...
- 13:35 Kettering mayor’s charity tributes to former deputies
- 13:34 Royal Oldham in armed lockdown
- 13:34 Historic school celebrates 300 years of education
- 13:34 Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester Arena terror...
- 13:34 Concert mum: 'I just focused on getting my daughter to safety'
- 13:33 Inquest into Drayton Manor schoolgirl death adjourned
- 13:34 Barbaric
- 13:34 'Wonderfully eclectic' exhibition at the British Motor Museum
- 13:34 Man taken to Queen's Medical Centre with serious injuries after...
- 13:33 Manchester bombing: Don't shield kids from the truth about terrorism
- 13:33 Ross McCormack could still have a future at Aston Villa - this is why
- 13:33 Manchester Bombing: Kind-hearted strangers raise £180,000 for victims
- 13:33 Manchester attack: Homeless man rushes to help, cradles dying woman...
- 13:33 Theatre review: Music is Torture
- 13:33 Real Madrid news: Ex-striker details transfer plan for Swansea's...
- 13:31 Nuneaton General Election candidates reveal their views on fox hunting
- 13:32 Married Morris dancer jailed for sexually abusing girl, 12, while...
- 13:32 Lord Mayor of Chester condemns ‘heinous attack’ in Manchester
- 13:31 Drayton Manor schoolgirl Evha Jannath's inquest adjourned
- 13:32 Johnston Carmichael lifts partner count to 57
- 13:32 'This was an appalling attack': Northants police chief condemns...
- 13:32 12 children under 16 are among Manchester terror attack injured
- 13:31 Why you shouldn't share this Manchester terror attack rumour about...
- 13:32 Fantastic Beasts and Star Wars film set to feature at Burghley...
- 13:32 Take That confirm they will postpone Liverpool concert in aftermath...