Number of drunk drivers involved in accidents is up for first time in decade
Some 3,450 drivers were found to have failed the test in 2015 - up from 3,227 in 2014.
Department for Transport (DfT) records show the number had previously fallen every year from a high of 6,397 in 2005.
Lucy Amos, a spokeswoman for road safety charity Brake, said: "It's disappointing to see this increase in the number of drivers failing the breath test when behind the wheel.
"Any amount of alcohol, even amounts below our current drink-drive limit, increases the likelihood of a driver being involved in a fatal crash.
"We need effective enforcement and appropriate penalties... read more
- 10:41 16 fun ways to keep the kids entertained on a rainy day
- 10:40 Ellesmere Port smart motorway project on ice, Government reveals
- 10:40 Tea party to honor Hickling Pre-school’s 50th anniversary
- 10:40 Ambulance hero helped transform 999 service
- 10:39 OAP charged after girl, 3, hit by car at pedestrian crossing
- 10:39 Grenfell Tower: Polyethylene cladding on scores of towers
- 10:38 Help to fight crime in Burnley and Padiham
- 10:38 Remedy Gin Bar's 'Tough Mudders' raise £2,000 for hospice
- 10:38 Coins unearthed – 700 years later
- 10:38 Police investigating hit and run crash
- 10:38 Campaign for new cross-border rail link gathers pace
- 10:37 Toddler refused entry from The Hydro Pool in Harrogate "over old £1"
- 10:37 CCTV released after shop thefts in Skegness
- 10:37 Chelsea stars ‘texting’ ex-No.2 Steve Holland as relationship with...
- 10:37 Minister: Mortgage lenders 'should consider rent payment record'
- 10:37 Cromford canal tripboat scoops certificate of excellence
- 10:37 Police involved in 21 operations to tackle modern slavery and human...
- 10:36 16 essential non-food items your local foodbank needs this Christmas
- 10:36 Walney residents report 'abandoned' car left on main road for four...
- 10:36 Want to sleep like a baby? Don't shut your eyes, keep them wide...
- 10:36 Two men attack victim in bungled robbery
- 10:36 Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak admits he WON'T upgrade to the £999...
- 10:35 Hero Harry is honoured for D-Day bravery
- 10:35 EastEnders star Lorna Fitzgerald opens up about her exit as...
- 10:35 Thief jailed for syringe threat
- 10:35 Justin Bieber fan, 40, arrested at star’s home
- 10:35 Tot almost killed when she is dragged inside faulty tumble dryer
- 10:35 Woman faked pregnancy and cancer to scam charity out of almost £1,300
- 10:35 'You b****!' Mum's shock as talking doll from Argos 'swears' at...
- 10:34 SYHA announce refurbishment of flagship Glen Nevis hostel