NSPCC reports huge rise in harrowing child abuse calls serious enough to be passed on to police
A children’s charity says the number of harrowing reports of child abuse it receives has dramatically increased.
According to the NSPCC, the number of calls to its helpline number serious enough to merit a call to the police or social services has sky-rocketed over the past three years.
This year, more than 1,000 calls made to the charity in the seven North East local authorities were passed on to external agencies — compared to just over 600 in 2012/13.
In County Durham, the authority with the most calls in the region, a total of 282 reports were sent on to police or the local council last... read more
- 13:14 Chester Arts Fair to pioneer latest technology at 2016 event
- 13:14 Inquiry launched after woman and toddler hurt by falling glass at...
- 13:12 Aston Villa analysis: The big issues Steve Bruce must consider...
- 13:12 South Tyneside gives go-ahead to Blue Plaque scheme
- 13:12 Exploring the history of Asian soldiers
- 13:11 Lunch raises vital funds for homeless cause
- 13:11 How dogs are really affected by fireworks – and what you can do to...
- 13:09 Restorers uncover the slab that held the body of Jesus Christ for...
- 13:09 Bored, can’t be bothered to exercise and always craving carbs? The...
- 13:09 Could THIS increase life expectancy for cystic fibrosis patients?...
- 13:09 Hospital care is worst at weekends: Patients are 15% more likely to...
- 13:10 Planned roadworks for Yorkshire for the week ahead
- 13:09 A contraceptive jab for men? Injection that lowers sperm count is...
- 13:09 Struggling to lose weight? Find a gym buddy: Friendly competition...
- 13:09 Will southern Spain become a DESERT? Experts predict global warming...
- 13:09 More than half of NHS mental health services fall below the...
- 13:09 Bags of talent at Hartlepool dance festival
- 13:09 Carer plans a heartwarming Hartlepool singalong
- 13:08 Homelessness bill would focus councils on prevention
- 13:08 Planned roadworks for Yorkshire for the week ahead
- 13:08 Seahouses pupils stand up to cancer
- 13:08 Further works on landslip-hit road
- 13:07 Warning over fake WhatsApp messages from Sainsbury’s and Topshop
- 13:07 GP swaps stethoscope for clarinet in European Doctors Orchestra
- 13:06 Has Sophie got the best job in the world?
- 13:05 Hartlepool man left partner bloody and beaten while baby slept...
- 13:05 SNP’s Paul Monaghan pays his brother Mark over 225 hours overtime
- 13:05 Memory match: PNE v Newcastle
- 13:04 Revised plans for controversial parking charges revealed
- 13:04 How dogs are really affected by fireworks – and what you can do to...