NSPCC reports huge rise in harrowing child abuse calls serious enough to be passed on to police
A children’s charity says the number of harrowing reports of child abuse it receives has dramatically increased.
According to the NSPCC, the number of calls to its helpline number serious enough to merit a call to the police or social services has sky-rocketed over the past three years.
This year, more than 1,000 calls made to the charity in the seven North East local authorities were passed on to external agencies — compared to just over 600 in 2012/13.
In County Durham, the authority with the most calls in the region, a total of 282 reports were sent on to police or the local council last... read more
- 11:01 NHS Tayside crisis: leadership set-up is ‘high risk’
- 11:00 Leader pays tribute after death of Lichfield councillor
- 11:00 Loyal Paul rewarded for two decades of service
- 11:00 SPECIAL REPORT: Cash-strapped Northamptonshire County Council paid...
- 11:00 Have your say on the future of Northamptonshire's children's centre...
- 10:59 Temperatures could reach 28C in parts of UK
- 10:58 Countdown on for big St George’s Day bash in Lytham
- 10:58 A Word In Your Ear - April 19, 2018
- 10:58 Rugby league finally has a national women’s competition to celebrate
- 10:58 The Thing Is with Steve Canavan
- 10:58 How to succeed at work, according to Elon Musk: Billionaire reveals...
- 10:58 Terrifying moment gangster blasts a sawn-off shotgun at a house in...
- 10:58 Liverpool expected XI: Jurgen Klopp to make changes to his 4-3-3 to...
- 10:57 Gwyneth Paltrow swaps engagement ring for band engraved with Brad...
- 10:56 Police appeal after two burglaries in Horncastle area
- 10:56 Coventry City find site for new training ground - but it's still a...
- 10:56 Anger over rail delays lead to calls for clarity as bosses slam...
- 10:56 Grantham car racing club seeks fresh farmland race track
- 10:56 Four SKDC bosses earn more than £100,000
- 10:55 Buchanan calls for repeat of title-winning spirit, and says ‘this...
- 10:55 Ikea's TaskRabbit app back online after data breach
- 10:55 TalkTalk and Vodafone top complaints chart again
- 10:55 Tradesman appeals for £5k of power tools stolen from locked van in...
- 10:54 Eden Project plans for Morecambe dome site
- 10:54 Anger over rail delays lead to calls for clarity as bosses slam...
- 10:54 Police to investigate Dale Winton’s ‘unexplained’ death
- 10:54 New build homes can save Doncaster homeowners £629 per year on...
- 10:52 New build homes can save Doncaster homeowners £629 per year on...
- 10:52 Sheffield street cordoned off over reports of shooting
- 10:52 Letters - April 19, 2018