Now for my impression of Monet... discovering the art of a perfect cruise down the Seine
Staring up at the soaring towers of Rouen cathedral through tall windows thrown open to give a clear view, I was awed by the challenge before me.
On the very spot where Claude Monet spent months working on more than 30 paintings of the same scene, I was nervously poising my paintbrush trying to create my own impression of the Gothic facade he painted at different times of the day as the seasons changed in the 1890s.
The father of Impressionism was more focused on capturing the light falling on the cathedral than on the edifice itself, and the project gave him nightmares.
But by day, he had... read more
- 15:53 Cow’s burps could become less damaging if we feed them seaweed
- 15:53 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:53 BREAKING NEWS: Person hit by train at Doncaster railway station
- 15:53 VIDEO: Decline in Puffin numbers on the Farnes
- 15:52 Liverpool star James Milner is BETTER than Cristiano Ronaldo – new...
- 15:52 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:52 RSC confirms David Walliams and Robbie Williams collaboration
- 15:52 Stratford skipper Whelan eyeing title challenge
- 15:51 Thunderstorms: What causes this extreme weather phenomena and can...
- 15:51 New gin bar and real ale pub on the way?
- 15:51 Scotland school clothing grant of £100 to relieve family pressure
- 15:51 Boy arrested over stabbing death of Sheffield teenager
- 15:50 Flood defences coming to Padiham
- 15:49 Taxi driver 'who rubbed groin' loses appeal to win back licence
- 15:49 Motorists face severe delays in Leeds city centre as police deal...
- 15:48 Young Americans are paying $600 to learn social skills. They should...
- 15:48 Our relationship with our 32-year-old daughter has broken down
- 15:48 Meghan Markle’s coat of arms revealed by Kensington Palace...
- 15:48 South Shields thug who beat up his girlfriend is spared jail after...
- 15:48 What and when is Trinity Sunday and how is it celebrated?
- 15:48 Marks and Spencer's 'everywoman' exposed as a high street myth
- 15:48 Martin Parr’s day at the Chelsea flower show – a photo essay
- 15:47 Brendan Ingle obituary
- 15:47 Leinster target Pro14 final win over Scarlets for Irish triple...
- 15:47 Public Health England warns of measles outbreak at music festivals
- 15:47 Donald Trump says North Korea summit could be back on
- 15:46 Cumbria Police urges residents to be wary of sunny weather thieves
- 15:46 Exploding lighter fuel can left teen needing skin graft
- 15:46 Sunderland experts land book deal with Harry Potter publisher
- 15:46 Inspirational film about Whitnash man’s cancer battle shows the...