Nottingham's Food Sleuth tests the grub at Goose Fair
As the tram doors rolled back, passengers alighting at The Forest caught the pungent whiff of frying onions and smoking doughnut oil. Or donut oil, if we accept the prevalent American spelling.
It was Friday lunchtime. Too early in the day to appreciate the bright lights of Goose Fair. While the evening is for teens and twenties stop-outs, daytime is the granny and truant shift, and the chance of a fairground luncheon on the hoof.
Traditionalists will be happy that the catering offer at the 2016 version of Britain's best travelling funfair is pretty well unchanged.
Yes, there are hints of... read more
- 00:01 'Up-to-date, but it doesn't scream fashion' – the verdict on...
- 00:01 How can beekeepers know if their bees have been at the acacia?
- 00:01 I have left the family home. Divorce proceedings are under way
- 00:01 My wife has had an affair and I am struggling to get past the hurt
- 00:01 Tim Dowling: ‘Cutlery shouldn’t be made from more than one thing’
- 00:01 It’s not politics of envy to be disgusted by the super-rich
- 00:01 Katy Perry brings the house down as her political wokening...
- 00:01 Zen and the art of family maintenance – lessons from the...
- 00:01 Los Angeles city guide: what to see, plus the best bars, hotels and...
- 00:01 Tim Dowling: ‘The dog is lying in a pool of its own vomit, like a...
- 00:01 Inside Teen Vogue: 'Our readers consider themselves activists'
- 00:01 If I looked like Scarlett Johansson I’d probably understand her...
- 00:01 From ‘hands that do dishes’ to a bathtime Flake: the changing face...
- 00:01 The day I saw John and Yoko’s 'bed-in' peace demonstration
- 00:01 Why Testosterone Rex is extinct
- 01:31 Blood tests spot ovarian cancer early
- 00:01 Condor moments: trekking in Patagonia
- 00:01 Why we must teach morality to robots
- 00:01 Breakfast of champions: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley’s paleo muffins
- 00:01 Plant of the week: perennial wallflower
- 00:01 Mrs Cameron’s Diary: Tbh leaving Downing Street is quite #sadface
- 00:01 Pastures new: Dan Pearson’s journey from city to farm
- 00:01 Angela Griffin: ‘I am not bothered about looking as if I’ve just...
- 00:01 Is it worth hiking? Exercise review
- 00:01 Why I love… DJ and singer-songwriter Syd
- 00:01 The eco guide to greener salads
- 00:01 How to make Delia’s ‘cheese on toast for posh people’
- 00:01 Does ignorance have an upside?
- 00:01 The government has the newly bereaved in its sights – and we should...
- 00:01 Modern tribes: the aspiring interior designer