Nottingham anti-begging posters banned by advertising authority
Anti-begging posters published by a council have been banned by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) for "reinforcing negative stereotypes".
Nottingham City Council came under fire for the posters, which said money given to beggars would be used on drugs, alcohol or fraud.
The ASA said they were likely to cause offence and "portrayed all beggars as disingenuous".
The council said it might appeal against the decision.
More than 2,000 people signed a petition criticising the council for "vilifying" the homeless with the messages "begging: watch your... read more
- 09:41 Justice secretary praises our killer drivers campaign
- 09:41 Man has part of ear bitten off in nightclub assault
- 09:41 Chinese view £800m Fylde coast power plant project
- 09:40 Police appeal to find missing teenager
- 09:40 Fairfax unit sells more shares in Bank of Ireland
- 09:40 Speeding up links to new health site
- 09:40 Latest transfer news: Arsenal, Chelsea Manchester United and City...
- 09:39 Verdict expected in hate speech trial of Dutch politician Wilders
- 09:38 Justice secretary praises our killer drivers campaign
- 09:38 Anti-cyberbullying sensation heads to Burnley
- 09:38 Man has part of ear bitten off in nightclub assault
- 09:38 Tony Pulis names Chelsea stars Diego Costa, Pedro and Eden Hazard...
- 09:37 Northampton fireplace showroom plans to add 130-seat Italian...
- 09:37 Police appeal to find missing teenager
- 09:36 'Please come home, the whole family is missing you': Wife's...
- 09:36 Freeman Street trader had secret stash of 19,000 fake cigarettes...
- 09:35 An invigorating look at dementia
- 09:35 Investigation launched into death of woman in police custody
- 09:35 Drink-driver before the courts again
- 09:34 ‘Justice has been served’ - Louth stabbing victim speaks out after...
- 09:34 Medical director Suneil Kapadia to leave trust which runs Grantham...
- 09:33 Chelsea ace issues advice to Blues pal: Do this and you can go to...
- 09:33 Turkey to hold referendum next spring on stronger presidency -...
- 09:33 In Trump stronghold, factories are humming but paychecks are thin
- 09:31 Far-right troll Joshua Bonehill-Paine jailed for vile abuse of MP...
- 09:31 Supermarket chain opens pilot store in city
- 09:31 Can Mr Banwait specify what 'achievements' he is proud of?
- 09:31 Design studio provides champion branding
- 09:31 Hong Kong leader CY Leung not to seek re-election
- 09:30 Bananas giant Fyffes ripe for picking by Japanese group